Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well done, both of you! You have overcome a hurdle and that is making Bumble know that she will be rewarded for doing something that you are asking her to do. Seems basic, but that's a concept. I will wager that Bumble will learn a new trick every few days now. And you will learn that it's not the tricks that are the thing, it's working with Bumble and the closeness that you two have started and will develop more and more. Some tips - do your sessions at the same time every day, as much as possible; keep the sessions to 15 minutes max; once she has enough tricks to fill that 10-15 min period, very them ie don;t do them all every time; change the order around, so one day start with the hoop, one day start with the spin, etc etc; you don;t need a lot of fancy trick props - a chop stick, playing cards, a bell from one of her destroyed toys - all these will give you lots of things to do if you use imagination. Again - doing great! She is so cute !

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
That's a major "Awwwwww" moment! :)

Golly Bumble ( I just love her name too lol) is soooo tiny..the very beginning of the vid when she went running to you put a big :D on my face.

Bumble is learning so quickly in such a short time. Whatever you're doing,keep it up..obviously it's working!
Thanks for sharing!!!

Jim

Haha I know that beginning part - I was originally planning to remove it but then I watched her run across the table tap-tap-tap waddle-waddle and I laughed and decided it had to stay. [emoji4]

Her name is Bumble because when they hatch, they're about the size of a bumblebee-so I decided I wanted a Bumble bird [emoji211]

She's young and smart and loves oatmeal - makes her easy to train. We're currently upgrading the spin to doing it on a perch and I have to figure out what to teach her after that. I'd also like to convince her to wear her flight suit, but that's not going as smoothly. I need about 6 more hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Well done, both of you! You have overcome a hurdle and that is making Bumble know that she will be rewarded for doing something that you are asking her to do. Seems basic, but that's a concept. I will wager that Bumble will learn a new trick every few days now. And you will learn that it's not the tricks that are the thing, it's working with Bumble and the closeness that you two have started and will develop more and more. Some tips - do your sessions at the same time every day, as much as possible; keep the sessions to 15 minutes max; once she has enough tricks to fill that 10-15 min period, very them ie don;t do them all every time; change the order around, so one day start with the hoop, one day start with the spin, etc etc; you don;t need a lot of fancy trick props - a chop stick, playing cards, a bell from one of her destroyed toys - all these will give you lots of things to do if you use imagination. Again - doing great! She is so cute !

Thanks, Al! From you that is great praise, and I appreciate all the tips. Right now we probably only do about 5 minutes of training and then we move on to eating using my hand as a bowl, drinking from the faucet, and skritch time while I sing to her LOL. It's so much fun watching her figure stuff out and playing together. I did make her watch some of Salty's tricks on YouTube, but she got distracted by the opportunity to chew on my phone case [emoji23][emoji23] so she didn't pay great attention.

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
75768542810bdab30f2ef08322f5c729.jpg

These little feathers sticking up kill me they're so cute.

Tonight Bumble tried a chili pepper for the first time. Nom nom nom. She loves it. She ate some, she flung some, and then when I picked the tiny pieces up off the table, she ate those too.

I have inadvertently started a routine that I may come to regret. There's a chair right next to her cage, and when I cover her at night, if I don't sit in that chair while she goes to sleep, she calls me until I do. So sweet - but also maybe a pain in the neck at some point! Haha! But I do love listening to her night-night peeps and beak grinding. I just have to make sure I'm ready to sit down when I cover her - it's not time to do the dishes!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would try to break that habit now , while you still can. You should never ingrain behaviour in your parrot that you can't live with for the rest of it's life ( or perhaps yours or the next owners life too). Imagine what would happen if for some reason Bumble had to be rehomed, and the new parront did not know about your little bedside comforting? Bumble would be stressed a lot, the new parront is not likely going to be able to figure out why she is so upset at night time.

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
I would try to break that habit now , while you still can. You should never ingrain behaviour in your parrot that you can't live with for the rest of it's life ( or perhaps yours or the next owners life too). Imagine what would happen if for some reason Bumble had to be rehomed, and the new parront did not know about your little bedside comforting? Bumble would be stressed a lot, the new parront is not likely going to be able to figure out why she is so upset at night time.

I know you're right. And I'll stop. But it's so sweet and it's really a nice wind-down for me too, so I'll be sad about it.

Meanwhile- she's learning to nod her head yes this week. [emoji4]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Inger...I see Bumble is eating quite well! What does she nosh on regularly?

I wish I could get Beebs to eat from my fingers,but he just runs away when I show him any nummys..and when he does eat anything,it has to be off MY plate :eek: he wont touch it if its in his bowl.

Jim

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
I made up a big batch of chop based on a recipe I found here itzjbean or something was the OP? Anyway, brown rice, smashed sweet potato, quinoa, jalapeño, pasta, carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower (I will leave those out of premade next time as they stink quickly), red pepper flakes, kale, collars greens, I think that's most of it. Then daily I add fresh stuff depending on what I have - bell peppers, cucumbers, oh I toss in a couple of frozen (thawed) berries, this week I got her some chili peppers which she LOVES and some fresh strawberries which she really goes to town on. I use tiny slivers of raw almond or raw cashew for treats, and she will do almost anything for uncooked oatmeal.

She will eat anything out of my hand so I try to introduce new stuff that way so she'll eat it from the bowl when I offer it. She LOVES to eat, little piggy!

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
3843143b20bb6078335c855a06217621.jpg

Anyone else think parrot tongues are the cutest thing EVER?

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I love that Bumble will try just about anything food-wise - and must admit being a wee bit jealous :). Mine were older when they came to me and they look at all new food with massive suspicion lol.

And I have to agree - parrot tongues are the cutest thing!

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
I love that Bumble will try just about anything food-wise - and must admit being a wee bit jealous :). Mine were older when they came to me and they look at all new food with massive suspicion lol.

And I have to agree - parrot tongues are the cutest thing!

I'm lucky that her breeder weaned her on a variety of foods and also that I had spent enough time here before bringing her home that I knew how important a varied diet is, so I started feeding her all kinds of stuff right away. Honestly reading these forums has made me a WAY better parront!

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Today I realized that Bumble is highly offended by certain shades of blue. Or maybe all shades of blue - more investigation will be required. But turquoise is definitely a problem for her. Of course, it's my favorite color. Haha! Joke's on me.

I finally figured this out when she wouldn't stop attacking my new (dollar store) glasses. She was wound up and nippy and sort of obnoxious-I swapped the glasses for another pair and she settled right in.

Ah crazy babies [emoji170][emoji170]

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Any thoughts about this clicking and quacking she's doing? She was trying to eat the dots off this pillow, and the moment I turned the camera on her, I got this. Repeatedly.

[ame="https://youtu.be/Sq6-v5ouPhQ"]Click click - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
I got Bumble's flight suit on her today, at least mostly. I couldn't quite get both feet where they belonged. She chewed on it but didn't seem too stressed. However, since she can't stand up without both of her feet I took it back off and let her finish the nutraberry I'd been trying to distract her with.

After that, she refused to do any tricks and repeatedly flew from the table to my head instead of my arm. I thought maybe she was mad at me, but she was also asking for more skritches than usual, so it didn't add up. Well - remember when I mentioned that she hates the color turquoise? Which is naturally my favorite color? Guess what I was wearing? As soon as I changed my shirt, she did a nice little spin and flew to my arm like the good, smart, and WEIRD little birdie she is.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Any thoughts about this clicking and quacking she's doing? She was trying to eat the dots off this pillow, and the moment I turned the camera on her, I got this. Repeatedly.

Click click - YouTube

Several possibilities, you are going to have to witness it several times to assign a behavior, activity or reasoning to it. But, it could be a begging response. And, that leads to; for what? And the great circle begins anew. :D

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

Click click - YouTube

Several possibilities, you are going to have to witness it several times to assign a behavior, activity or reasoning to it. But, it could be a begging response. And, that leads to; for what? And the great circle begins anew. :D

Maybe she was begging me to not make a fool of her on the internet by posting a video of her trying to eat the polka dots off the pillow [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

She hasn't clicked at me since. I guess I'll wait and we if she does it again. I am astounded y the range of sounds that come out of that little beak.

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Guys. This is big. And don't ruin it for me with logic. LISTEN WHILE WE PLAY PEEK-A-BOO.

[ame="https://youtu.be/-Mdv7fQJAA0"]Tricks & Peek - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Adorbs!

And you heard her say peek, right???????

Most Reactions