Buying a cockatiel

Teza2plays

Jan 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet
I’ve been searching for a cockatiel but cannot find any that fits my budget and isn’t a scam. I live in Mitchell, SD and cannot find any breeders near me. I would like to spend less than $300. I am willing to drive up to 5 hours away. I would like to get a tiel from a breeder since I got a budgie from my local pet shop about a year ago that will NOT eat anything but seeds. Shipping is perfectly fine with me. Help!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi!
After a year, it’s not the petshop’s fault what your budgie eats!
That being said, a good quality seed is much better than 99% of all pellets! Think about it. Look at the ingredients list. What’s first? Soy, wheat, or, corn! Soy, you really don’t want to feed to your fid, corn, very little! Throw in some rock dust and call it fortified!

Last edited:
OP
Teza2plays

Teza2plays

Jan 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet
Hi!
After a year, it’s not the petshop’s fault what your budgie eats!
That being said, a good quality seed is much better than 99% of all pellets! Think about it. Look at the ingredients list. What’s first? Soy, wheat, or, corn! Soy, you really don’t want to feed to your fid, corn, very little! Throw in some rock dust and call it fortified!
Yes, he is on a good seed now but I meant that he will not eat any fruits or vegetables. I have tried offering them everyday fresh for about a month but he would not try it. I’ve tried about 3 different vegetables and 5 different fruits. No luck. πŸ˜…

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Give him free run of your plate! It may improve your eating habits too!🀫
Oftentimes budgies are afraid of your plate! Big scary UFO :eek: :eek:

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
They are like us! The wants of the stomach/crop is mightier than any common sense!
Sorry, gonna have to disagree. My budgies have been as hungry as hungry can be but still refused to eat even seed off things that scare them.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Parrots can be strange!!! My conure thinks the color purple, or red is scary. If I put a toy in her cage that is one of these colors she won't go anywhere near it. If there are colored pellets she will eat all of her pellets but the purple, or red ones despite the fact that they are all the same flavor/shape. I myself did feed my conure a seed diet for many years as this was what was sold in stores, and I never thought to look into it further. Yes, I am guilty of the seed diet :cry::cry::cry: I was THAT parrot owner unfortunately!!! I have changed her to a pellet diet. This is EXTREMELY challenging. It's been a year now, and my conure will still give me attitude about her pellets. When I give her a seed as a treat she will fly over to the seed container to try to get into it, or break it open. I will help anyone going through this process as it isn't fun, and is VERY VERY VERY challenging. My conure would rather starve then eat fresh food. I still offer it, and try. However I'm proud of myself for even getting her to eat pellets.

Most Reactions