Buying a Green wing... Thoughts? Suggestions?

Mama4life

Aug 11, 2013
Cocoa, FL
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw ~ Boo &
African Grey Congo ~ Rivor
I caved and decided to buy a baby green wing macaw. Anyone know any good breeders for a decent price? If not, I am going to go with Daniel Walthers from Georgia. He does an amazing job with his babies and every customer has been MORE than happy with their babies! They come harness trained already and started on flight training, and completely weaned! I think it works wonderfully! ALTHOUGH pricey.... $850 deposit and $850 at pick up or add $100 for shipping.... erm.... I think I'd much rather drive to GA but I'd spend more than the shipping costs in gas, so I will most likely have my new baby shipped. I will not be getting the baby for about 9 months b/c there is a waiting list then the weaning process... PLUS the decision making on who to buy from.... Any thoughts or suggestions? My AGC didn't mind having my B&G added to her life, and my B&G is so loving that I'm 99% positive he/she wont mind having a buddy. Also, quick question can a B&G and a Green wing produce babies? (I'm not looking to breed) :red1:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I honestly don't think it's all that pricey. Most of the GWs on birdbreeders go for $1,800, NOT including shipping. And I don't think those babies will be harnessed trained already. :)

Yes, GWs and B&G can and will produce babies. The offspring is called Harlequin.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I agree, gw can go for upto 2500! With NO harness training! So all in all not a bad price. Good luck!

calieckies

Aug 2, 2013
Houston, TX
Parrots
Eclectus, Macaw, African Grey, Toucan
I thought you were adopting two of the rescue birds from NJ?
2000-2500 is average for weaned baby green wings. 200-300 is average for shipping. If he charges 100 for shipping he is personally paying for the rest out of his profit.
Are you sure they are weaned b/c he posted a bunch of videos about how to hand feed instructions for his customers getting babies from him... it sounded like he shipped them on 2 feedings a day to their new homes?

OP
Mama4life

Mama4life

Aug 11, 2013
Cocoa, FL
Parrots
Im sure they must be experienced hand feeders, even tho I am, im not going to hand feed. Yes fully weaned per my conversation yesterday with them, unless I request otherwise. He has many great youtube videos. I really enjoy his information he provides. I have not heard back from Melanie about the ones in NJ so I assumed she came to FL yesterday as she planned and thats how I was going to get the birds to me. Since she has not been on the forums for a few days now I guess im just thinking of if I dont get one from that guy....

calieckies

Aug 2, 2013
Houston, TX
Parrots
Eclectus, Macaw, African Grey, Toucan
I contacted the store its self to see which birds still needed homes. They said they would email me photos etc. Hoping to hear back soon.
Best of luck with your new baby if you get one from them!

OP
Mama4life

Mama4life

Aug 11, 2013
Cocoa, FL
Parrots
Id rather adopt.. as much as I love babies... adoption is always best! I think so anyway.....please may u forward the email to me? [email protected]

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If I were to pay $1,700 for a GW that's harness trained, flight trained (i.e. not clipped) and weaned, I'd rather pay that amount than a cheaper amount for a bird that is not harness trained and is clipped, therefore not flight trained.

With shipping, you usually can't get away with paying less than $150 for a medium or large parrot, and for a bird as large as a macaw, you can easily expect to pay around $200 or so for shipping! The larger the animal, the larger the crate, thus the more they'll charge.

I can't say that I'm familiar with the breeder, but he sounds great!

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
How about passing on to Mama4life the information of the store/people that are handling the plethora of large macaws up for adoption so she can communicate with them directly? That say they can gather information about each other in which to help make the best adoption for her with what is available.

It would be a long distance adoption but maybe they are alright with that.

Most Reactions