Caique Pros & Cons?

deedee

Mar 2, 2012
NJ
Parrots
2 African Greys
1 Caique
I have been thinking about getting another parrot. I have visited with the caiques at our local bird store and have to say they are probably my favorites to watch and hold. I don't know anyone that owns one. Can you caique owners please tell me pros and cons of owning a caique? I want to know EVERYTHING about them. Thanks!

BHCowner

Oct 28, 2010
Parrots
Neo: Black headed Caique
pros:

Very loving - when happy.

VERY playful - amazing to watch and have fun with.

ENDLESS energy - very rare my little one sits still. Always on the go.

cons:

Aggression - This can happy at any time for any reason, so learning your own birds mannerisms is a MUST. They switch on a dime.

Big bite on a small bird - they have mandible jaw bottom and top allowing for a lot more powerful bite than other parrots of a similar size. So be extra careful as i can tell you it hurts, a lot.

Talking - Not strong talkers but very good with sounds... can be a problem for some people.

Erm i will let others add to that list.

The pros outway the cons by a long long way, its just important to know your bird very well, as accidents can happen if you cant read them right.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
pros:

Very loving - when happy.

VERY playful - amazing to watch and have fun with.

ENDLESS energy - very rare my little one sits still. Always on the go.

cons:

Aggression - This can happy at any time for any reason, so learning your own birds mannerisms is a MUST. They switch on a dime.

Big bite on a small bird - they have mandible jaw bottom and top allowing for a lot more powerful bite than other parrots of a similar size. So be extra careful as i can tell you it hurts, a lot.

Talking - Not strong talkers but very good with sounds... can be a problem for some people.

Erm i will let others add to that list.

The pros outway the cons by a long long way, its just important to know your bird very well, as accidents can happen if you cant read them right.

I agree with this totally. Yes they can be really loud. Mine go at it in the morning and again at night....

Towee

Mar 11, 2012
NY
Parrots
African Grey
Senegal
WB Caique
Lovebird
Caiques can be rough with other birds. Ours has bitten our lovebird, senegal and our amazon. She is a busybody, always wanting to get into the other birds cages and stuff. She is funny to watch when she's playing with toys. She can be very loud when she wants to, but she's not as annoying as my Senegal(really I have a very loud and annoying Senegal!). She loves her food. Give her a piece of orange and she makes her happy chirpy noises til it's gone. She's not very cuddlely but will let you pet her when she's ready. She's very independent; likes playing with her toys, looking out the window, trying to bite the dogs, and is happy hanging out with the other birds even if they don't want to have anything to do with her. She is an easy to please bird.

OP
D

deedee

Mar 2, 2012
NJ
Parrots
2 African Greys
1 Caique
Thanks Towee, decisions, decisions

mysteryfoxes

Mar 6, 2012
Calabash, NC
Parrots
Basil - Turquoise Green Cheek Conure :)
Never owned one, but I was bitten the other day by a sweet little devil. ;) He only likes certain people (apparently, I am not one of them) hehehe

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
pros:
- outgoing, loves new people
-friendly
-playful
-silly
-smart
-cute
-cuddly

cons:
-mood swings for no apparent reason, can be in "demon mode" for hours!
-I have a lot of scars on my hands from Puck, and I've only had him 7 months.
-he can also just be grumpy and grouchy.
-afraid of ceiling fans, which can catch me off guard if I am not careful

missylynn

Feb 23, 2011
Parrots
2 GCCs - Jinx & Bonsai
I have not had my caiques for long, but I can tell you my little boy is very outgoing to EVERYONE (and he's not a baby either... almost 4 years old). He's extremely energetic, very playful, and he whistles cute little tunes when he meets new people, goes new places, or gets his way, lol. He has not even come close to biting me, even when caught off guard. Very sweet boy. On the downside, they do have a VOICE. The boy doesn't use it all the time, mostly just as a contact call or when the girl is sounding off. The girl, however, is a screamer. She, unlike the boy Sammy, is not tame. So that probably has something to do with it. But she's been going off a lot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts