Calcium Block or Calcium Powder

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
What are your recommendations for Calcium? I am speaking a replacement calcium block for my girls but then heard that about calcium powder? Which is better. What do you use and why?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Although with egg layers, it is not uncommon for variations of their Calcium level of during the year. That said, one should always check the Blood Chemistry of your Parrot prior to providing any additives.

Understanding that the only different between powdered Calcium and Calcium blocks is the presentation. One is provided as an option and the other is placed on their food (forced) addition to their diet.

As stated, always confirm whether your Parrot (or Parrots) require it prior to providing.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Although with egg layers, it is not uncommon for variations of their Calcium level of during the year. That said, one should always check the Blood Chemistry of your Parrot prior to providing any additives.

Understanding that the only different between powdered Calcium and Calcium blocks is the presentation. One is provided as an option and the other is placed on their food (forced) addition to their diet.

As stated, always confirm whether your Parrot (or Parrots) require it prior to providing.

I added a calcium block when they both started laying eggs. They both have not laid eggs in 5 years. Is it still recommended?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
you can offer boiled egg with some of the shell..mine occasionally choose to eat the shell or ignore it.
I have cuttlefish, and mineral blocks....rarely ever chewed on but available. They get calcium from veggies and pellets.

I would not do powder.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
you can offer boiled egg with some of the shell..mine occasionally choose to eat the shell or ignore it.
I have cuttlefish, and mineral blocks....rarely ever chewed on but available. They get calcium from veggies and pellets.

I would not do powder.
can you post a link to the mineral blocks you use? Also how often are you supposed to change them.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I get whatever the petstores have. This one is clay based i think ...you can see some little beak chews lol
I change if they get pooped on or nasty or otherwise probably once a year I get a new one
20220309_150507.jpg

I think was this brand

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I also have one if these in each cage. I've had them chew them up to nothing in a couple of months msybe more as just fun destruction..or I change if out ig get nasty and I can't scrape off. But I put high so can't poop on them

Most Reactions

Latest posts