Can i make my amazon sick

Birdboy

Feb 12, 2013
Media
Australia
Parrots
Keiko Yellow-crowned Amazon
hello every one, im sick today with a sore throat. I was wondering if i should not go close to keiko incase she will get sick. She is my first bird as some of you may know and I want everything to be fine.

Thank you :)

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
Im pretty sure the "common" human flu can not be transferred from humans to parrots.. Unless you were exposed to psittacosis ( bird flu)..I do believe psittacosis passed to human can be passed back to birds..

Last edited:

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
your common cold cannot be pased to your birds. Only contagious bird disease that you could be a form a transfer can pass to your birds, but even then most of the times that is hard to do unless they get very direct contact.(in some diseases not all).

so you have nothing to worry about, only animal i know that can get a human cold is ferrets...

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I know that everyone here has said differently however I have heard from my breeder that we can indeed get our birds sick. Especially strep throat. We lost two cockatiels recently that our breeder feels was from our daughters illness. I would air on the side of caution.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
No you cant make him ill , its a proven fact that we cannot pass on colds and flu to our Birds:)

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
I know that everyone here has said differently however I have heard from my breeder that we can indeed get our birds sick. Especially strep throat. We lost two cockatiels recently that our breeder feels was from our daughters illness. I would air on the side of caution.
The store/breeder that sold me my cockatiel said they can get colds too but they are horrible lying people and treat their customers like garbage, and if you do a quick search you'll find that everywhere else says they can't.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If it's a virus , then chances are slim that you would pass it to your bird. A bacteria???? that's a different story IMO> Why are ppls so worried about "kissing" your fid and giving them some fatal bacteria?? Bacteria will grows where ever conditions are right. A harmful bacteria is harmful to any species. I've never suspected passing a cold to my birds but why risk it? Do you wash your hands before handling your fids? Why?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts