Can parakeets catch bird mites from sitting on the inside of a screened window?

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
ā€¦Or any other nasty things?

There are no, and have never been, any nests on the outside concrete ledge. But iā€™ve seen sparrows and an occasion dove rest on there for a few, until they move off into the tree or sky. But not while my bird is there.

My bird will go sit on a perch in front of the window, but Iā€™ve seen him inside the window next to the screen, a few times over the summer.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from a day of Google it sounds like maybe? Depending on your house structure and local bird population.

My area has a few species that could be carrying avian flu, and it has been found in my county, but they stay near the lake so my backyard *should* be safe, for example.

From what I looked up, as far as mites, making sure to remove potential nesty spots around or on your house (furnace vents, eaves, etc) is a big piece of preventing them getting in to the house.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Do the wild birds perch on the windowsill outside? I suppose if they did that they might be able to share mites through the screen.

I would not allow my pet bird to hang out inside the windowsill of a screened window if there were other birds on the sill outside. But if that was a rare thing I wouldnā€™t worry about it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts