Candle question

BoulderParrotMom

Dec 17, 2020
Colorado
Parrots
Ringo
Hello! I am new to this community and grateful to have found you. I have an 11 year old Senegal parrot named Ringo. Wondering if anyone knows if Palm Wax candles are safe?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good question! As far as I know, un-scented bees wax candles are safe. Never heard of a Palm based wax candle before. I know I couldn't use them , I am allergic to anything palm oil based. The key thing is no scents! Hopefully one of our more organically knowledgeable members will chime in about the Palm wax.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Many things are kind of safe, right up to the point that you light the candle, etc...

The Base Agent that Kills is the gas(s) release as a result of the candle's flame. The additives for scent, etc... commonly add to the stew of deadly gases released.

Long story short: No!

Check out this Thread:" A Warm Welcome And A Few Friendly Warnings To Keep Your Parrots Safe "

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! Safe? Sometimes! The wife uses a scented oil at her place, she swore by the company-she’s a distributor! The oil is on the danger list, but so far, no tragedy! SO FAR!

OP
B

BoulderParrotMom

Dec 17, 2020
Colorado
Parrots
Ringo
Thank you, everyone. Sadly, the beeswax candles were a trigger - but could've been due to the wicks (?). Soy seems to be ok - but can't find specific candles for sabbath or hannukah. We'll keep looking or else continue lighting candles outside! :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
All wax produces residue and sends oils and smoke into the air-- I do not personally feel that any are safe around birds. If I had to choose, unscented would be safer, but still, not safe.

I get your concerns, but if you only light the menorah for a short time, you should be okay if your bird is out of the room..not totally safe, but safer than lighting them in the same room etc. I light most real flames outside too these days.

I grew up doing this with a parrot (BUT---we also were kind of clueless at the time and would do many things differently now).

Last edited:

ImmanuelGraves

Feb 15, 2024
Well, when it comes to Palm Wax candles and pets, safety's definitely a big deal. I've heard mixed opinions on whether they're safe around animals, so it might be worth doing some extra research or chatting with a vet just to be sure. Can't be too careful when it comes to our feathered pals, right?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, every six months or so, some individual or group introduced some past used or even new component that they claim brings health and well-being to Humans. They all clam it is safe for use in houses, even those with Pets. Whether the new chemical is neutral or not, burning candles remain dangerous to all and continue to be one of the leading causes of apartment and home fires!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Fire bad !
61iAEgrYcuL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I regularly burn candles for ritual purposes as well. I make sure they're unscented tea lights and burn them no longer than an hour or two. I burn them with a window open and the air purifier going strong.

Most Reactions

Latest posts