Cheap way to add diversity of fruit to diet

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I canā€™t believe I never thought of This before.

Fruit is expensive, especially the ā€œrarerā€ things like papaya and mango. Not only thatā€™s, but frustrating to buy a papaya only for 3/4 of the fruit to go to waste.

how can you add it cheap? REHYDRATE YOUR DEHYDRATED TROPICAL FRUIT MIX!

this takes these unhealthy sugar bombs and turns them into better sources of nutrition. Yes, some of the vitamins get destroyed in the dehydration process (vitamin c and some b vitamins), but those are more than made up for in other aspects for their diet. I can even stuff nuts into those apricots and figs to get Parkerā€™s beak into the mix.

not exactly meant to be a replacement for fresh, but itā€™s darn close and kind of a fun treat/meal addition.

8A68D1D1-219B-4FDE-AC1C-60F03D381485.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
This is a brilliant idea, Chris. Those look so good rehydrated, what did Parker think?

caring

Aug 9, 2020
I canā€™t believe I never thought of This before.

Fruit is expensive, especially the ā€œrarerā€ things like papaya and mango. Not only thatā€™s, but frustrating to buy a papaya only for 3/4 of the fruit to go to waste.

how can you add it cheap? REHYDRATE YOUR DEHYDRATED TROPICAL FRUIT MIX!

this takes these unhealthy sugar bombs and turns them into better sources of nutrition. Yes, some of the vitamins get destroyed in the dehydration process (vitamin c and some b vitamins), but those are more than made up for in other aspects for their diet. I can even stuff nuts into those apricots and figs to get Parkerā€™s beak into the mix.

not exactly meant to be a replacement for fresh, but itā€™s darn close and kind of a fun treat/meal addition.

View attachment 32672

Most Reactions