Clipping.

Zenitsu

Aug 9, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have a Cockatiel, and I’m thinking about clipping his wings by a vet. I’m honestly worried if it’ll make him depressed or anxious.
He usually doesn’t fly, but he dislikes any type of touching but doesn’t mind getting on my arm or head. Despite the training I have tried he dislikes and absolutely hates being touched, even if a finger is pointed at him. He’s honestly scared from the littlest of things, from his treats to family members just passing by, he knows everyone in my family. We spend time with him, talk to him and try our best to play with him but he’s always shocked or scared. Beside all that I cannot stop thinking about the cons of getting his wings clipped, he bumps into everything when he flies and I’m scared that he might hit the window or wall to hard. Should I get his wings clipped for better training and for safety? Or is it better if I just leave his wings be?
I am going to call the vet soon to ask for more information on clipping wings, but I really can’t sleep right now since I’m stressed over my bird. All I need is some sort of advice and honest opinions.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums!

A warning that wing clipping is a very hot-button topic for many of the forum and you are likely to get some passionate replies in one direction or another.

Personally, I do not clip my bird's wings. How old is your Cockatiel and how long have they been with you?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I personally do not clip wings because I believe birds should be able to fly, BUT--a good vet tech can take just a few flight feathers, which will slow your cockatiel down but not completely prevent flight. I had to do that for a cockatiel once because he was SO FAST when he flew, and I was worried about the same thing--I didn't want him snapping his neck running into the wall, which is a tragic thing that can happen. The result was exactly what I wanted. He could still fly from one side of the living room to the other, but he was much slower. You could consider a partial clip as an option.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So I usually clip my Amazons feathers so he can glide down to the floor, but not get any height. However he is way overdue and flies well around the house. The problem is that he likes to land high up and my wife cannot reach him. Plus we have an open floor plan and there is no separation between the kitchen area and the rest of the 1st floor.. A lite clip could maybe help with training. Good thing about clipping - feathers grow back.

OP
Zenitsu

Zenitsu

Aug 9, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Welcome to the forums!

A warning that wing clipping is a very hot-button topic for many of the forum and you are likely to get some passionate replies in one direction or another.

Personally, I do not clip my bird's wings. How old is your Cockatiel and how long have they been with you?
Not sure how old he is, but I got him over a year ago. It looks like he’s fully grown, his colors and feathers are nice.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Not sure how old he is, but I got him over a year ago. It looks like he’s fully grown, his colors and feathers are nice.

I personally think clipping would be harder on a bird that is older and already accustomed to flying. It would be a big change. But, it is true that feathers do grow back. I personally wouldn't do it to a bird who is older and already used to flying.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I personally do not clip wings because I believe birds should be able to fly, BUT--a good vet tech can take just a few flight feathers, which will slow your cockatiel down but not completely prevent flight. I had to do that for a cockatiel once because he was SO FAST when he flew, and I was worried about the same thing--I didn't want him snapping his neck running into the wall, which is a tragic thing that can happen. The result was exactly what I wanted. He could still fly from one side of the living room to the other, but he was much slower. You could consider a partial clip as an option.
That reminds me of my old cockatiel. It was extremely fast and loved to fly aggressively doing laps from my kitchen into my living room.

One time it was flying aggressively in my living area, I didn't know, when I went to go through the door it happened to be coming the other way doing a knife edge turn. It saw me and decided to bail into the wall than crash into me.

It took a huge bump and I thought it was hurt but amazingly it got up and waddled to me, it was fine. I couldn't believe it. In order to avoid hurting me it bailed into the wall at such speed, I thought that was unbelievable.

I have a Cockatiel, and I’m thinking about clipping his wings by a vet. I’m honestly worried if it’ll make him depressed or anxious.
He usually doesn’t fly, but he dislikes any type of touching but doesn’t mind getting on my arm or head. Despite the training I have tried he dislikes and absolutely hates being touched, even if a finger is pointed at him. He’s honestly scared from the littlest of things, from his treats to family members just passing by, he knows everyone in my family. We spend time with him, talk to him and try our best to play with him but he’s always shocked or scared. Beside all that I cannot stop thinking about the cons of getting his wings clipped, he bumps into everything when he flies and I’m scared that he might hit the window or wall to hard. Should I get his wings clipped for better training and for safety? Or is it better if I just leave his wings be?
I am going to call the vet soon to ask for more information on clipping wings, but I really can’t sleep right now since I’m stressed over my bird. All I need is some sort of advice and honest opinions
This is probably a contentious topic with no real right or wrong, just opinions.
It's a shame your bird is so shy and apprehensive.
I like to keep my birds natural but a partial clip is a good idea here. I think full clips are not good cos they crash too hard. A partial clip can also help the bird get used to you as it has to rely on you more but then I would let it's feathers grow back after that.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That reminds me of my old cockatiel. It was extremely fast and loved to fly aggressively doing laps from my kitchen into my living room.

One time it was flying aggressively in my living area, I didn't know, when I went to go through the door it happened to be coming the other way doing a knife edge turn. It saw me and decided to bail into the wall than crash into me.

It took a huge bump and I thought it was hurt but amazingly it got up and waddled to me, it was fine. I couldn't believe it. In order to avoid hurting me it bailed into the wall at such speed, I thought that was unbelievable.

This is probably a contentious topic with no real right or wrong, just opinions.
It's a shame your bird is so shy and apprehensive.
I like to keep my birds natural but a partial clip is a good idea here. I think full clips are not good cos they crash too hard. A partial clip can also help the bird get used to you as it has to rely on you more but then I would let it's feathers grow back after that.
So many people get upset at the thought of trimming a pet bird's wings at all, claiming its cruel, unnatural, etc, and some clip jobs are so severe the bird cannot fly at all- most definitely bad. However, keeping a bird in a cage of any size indoors to live as companions for humans without the freedom to fly where it wants and chose its own companions is also a very unnatural state of existence for a bird. Some people do not believe birds should be kept as pets at all, especially the larger parrots, and I see their point.
Since we are keeping our birds in such an annatural environment, sometimes carefully trimming their flight feathers to slow them down (cockatiels are VERY strong fast fliers) is needed to prevent injuries and it does make the initial taming process easier for both the bird and its new owner.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I just want to add that parrots with clipped wings, who seems to not be able to get any 'lift' or height in the house are very capable of flying away if taken out doors (with no harness), and it gets spooked or scared at something. CLipping can lead to a false sense of security that your parrot can not fly at all. However, with the sudden rush of adrenaline if scared, they can and do fly.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I agree with others who suggested you consult a vet about possibly doing a light clip - it sounds like he or she is panic flying, and that can definitely result in injury. You conversely however don’t want them to feel completely unable to get away as it will worsen their fear response. A light clip that keeps them from getting up to full speed may be an ideal compromise.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I can also confirm from experience that full clips absolutely do make fear worse, I adopted a lovebird from a foster who clipped her wings so short she fell to the floor like a rock and she was absolutely TERRIFIED of me until she was able to fly again. She's still scared of my hands but she doesn't divebomb at the sight of my face anymore. So yea, I definitely wouldn't do a super short full clip for a scared bird....... or any bird for that matter.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
So many people get upset at the thought of trimming a pet bird's wings at all, claiming its cruel, unnatural, etc, and some clip jobs are so severe the bird cannot fly at all- most definitely bad. However, keeping a bird in a cage of any size indoors to live as companions for humans without the freedom to fly where it wants and chose its own companions is also a very unnatural state of existence for a bird. Some people do not believe birds should be kept as pets at all, especially the larger parrots, and I see their point.
Since we are keeping our birds in such an annatural environment, sometimes carefully trimming their flight feathers to slow them down (cockatiels are VERY strong fast fliers) is needed to prevent injuries and it does make the initial taming process easier for both the bird and its new owner.
I agree with your thoughts on clipping
But
Should birds be kept as pets at all?
Good question.
It's a question that I have contemplated in the past and here are my thoughts.
I think it's wrong to take a bird or egg out of the wild unless there is an injury or something.
However a bird that is born in captivity can not join the wild as it doesn't know how to fee's itself, it needs a place to stay so here we are to house them and love them.

Most Reactions