Close up of Willy's Eye (61 year old DYHA)

tassanil

Member
Joined
May 20, 2024
Messages
31
Reaction score
55
Location
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
My poor boy's eye is looking pretty bad. I have a vet (avian) appointment on the 29th. I do wonder though why Amazon's are prone to eye issues!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2509.webp
    IMG_2509.webp
    117.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2511.webp
    IMG_2511.webp
    125.9 KB · Views: 41
Is there an ER or something to sooner? Both of you have my 🙏🙏
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
Just a quick update on Willy. His eyes are still inflamed, so the avian vet has prescribed 10 days of eye drops. They also did the dye staining to check for ulcers and checked his eye pressure. The vet confirmed that he's developing cataracts in both eyes, which isn't unexpected given his age. At 60+ years old, he's done remarkably well, but it looks like his vision may gradually decline. Poor guy :( If anyone has experience managing cataracts in senior Amazons, I'd love to hear any tips or things to watch for.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2682.webp
    IMG_2682.webp
    202 KB · Views: 64
In people avoiding UV and direct sunlight is important. Bright sunlight should become indirect. It helps decrease eye straining with open and closing of pupils. With a parrot I suppose that couldn't hurt. Hope someone has more to offer.
 
In people avoiding UV and direct sunlight is important. Bright sunlight should become indirect. It helps decrease eye straining with open and closing of pupils. With a parrot I suppose that couldn't hurt. Hope someone has more to offer.
I remember adding eye positivite veggies. Ask your vet what he would recommend. Some can be too much for a parrot.
 
I remember adding eye positivite veggies. Ask your vet what he would recommend. Some can be too much for a parrot.
Yes both good things to follow up on. We have to go back in 10 days for a recheck, so I will make a list of everything to ask.
 
Oof I hope things are going well with Willy! Never seen such an old and distinguished Amazon.
 
Back
Top Bottom