Compatible birds for my Amazon

staceyw72

Jun 9, 2012
I have a rescued Blue Front Amazon that is sweet as pie. She doesn't like to be touched so we just don't try. I had a Sun Conure that was my baby that I had for at least 10 years. I accidentally walked outside with her on my shoulder and she flew like nobody's business. I could kick myself daily for not having her trimmed so my heart is still sick and broken. It's been about a month since my baby flew the coup. My Big Bird (Amazon) is so lonely. I need to get her a sister or brother. I was reading about the Panama Amazon. I've been told that I should be careful about getting another Amazon because they bond too strongly to each other. Now I have just heard that here and there. Could someone give me some advice on whether the purchase of another Amazon is a good one or should I look into another breed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chaz12

Jun 5, 2012
Media
Belle MO
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
If you are content with leaving the Blue Fronted Amazon in a cage, well buying another bird would be o.k.. But the more birds in your house, the less they want to be friendly toward humans. But if you think about hand training your Amazon, well it would be a bad idea to get another bird. Amazons are generally a one or two person bird.

Last edited:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
First, don't get another bird for your bird. It may never work. Get another bird because you want one. Amazons can be pretty aggressive with other birds that are introduced so you will have to be very careful and take it slow.
Hopefully henpecked will be on as he is an Amazon expert! :) He can guide you with species and introduction.

OP
S

staceyw72

Jun 9, 2012
Thank you. I have had Sweets, my Amazon for a little over a year and she loved little Lexi. I want another bird as well but want to make the right choice for all of us. Sweets is not caged when we are home and will step up on a stick. I think she is very old and from what I know loves other birds. Thanks a bunch.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
You know, I am afraid I'll forget I've got one of the birds on my shoulder when I walk out, too. But clipped may not have helped - even clipped birds can often fly outdoors, due to air currents.

We have 2 amazons, 1 Grey, 1 Macaw & a few 'keets in the same house. The 'keets are caged, the others are on playtops most of the day. The big birds all get along well enough - I think they like having a flock (the Grey & Macaw "converse" often). None actually play together, but they do seem to enjoy each others' company.

I think personality is more important than species, in 2 birds getting along.

Do you have a rescue in your area where you could take your amazon & see if there is a bird who is compatible with both you & your bird? That would be ideal. There are some small rescues where I am who would be happy to let a good parrot companion find a bird who is a good fit. Maybe there are some near you, too?

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Amazons aren't always nice to other birds and if you have two amazons sometimes they rile each other up more than anything. My female amazons HATE other female amazons. Most of the time when I get a nasty bite from one of my female's its because antoher female amazon came into sight and they were just so mad they had to lash out at something and I was closest. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes not so much. I certainly wouldn't get another amazon so they can sit together on a cage top, preen each other and be real good friends. They are likely to either hate each other violently, or love each other to the point you end up being treated like chopped liver.

Now if you want another amazon for a pet for yourself and you are willing to having them on separate cage tops, out of reach of each other, separate one on time, then getting another amazon of the same sex will probably be okay. It gets murky if you get one of opposite sex in which case even across the room from each other hormones could start raging and leave you in the dust.

Why not just get another conure? No guarantees your amazon will like the new one. There are lots of conures to choose from. If a sun is too close to your lost budy, you could get a gold cap or jenday. I would not make a habit of letting your amazon interact freely with the conure. Its an accident waiting to happen. Amazons are typically way to volatile.

Most Reactions

Latest posts