First time caring for (two) Amazons

Lukewarm45

Jul 16, 2023
Parrots
Red-Crowned Amazon
I recently got two baby Red-crowned Amazons (1 boy, 1 girl). They're only about 5-6 weeks and it's my first time caring for parrots this young. They're currently both on formula. I've done a lot of research but there's a lot of information, some of which conflict with each other and I was getting a bit overwhelmed. I was wondering if I could get any advice possible to help properly feed and wean them into healthy young parrots!

Some of my main questions I had were:
1. When is the appropriate time to start introducing solid (but soft foods).
2. When should I start shifting to majority food rather than formula (I read around 8 ish weeks)
3. Should I do anything to provide a bit of humidity in their environment?

Absolutely any advice is welcome and would help! Thank you!

Attachments

• Amazons Photo.jpg
    Amazons Photo.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 26

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You feed formula until they stop eating it. Have solid foods (but soft, like cooked sweet potatoes, mashed up corn and similar) available to them. Usually they refuse a feeding, and then continue to feed less and less. They and not You are the decision makers in this. THis is called abundance feeding and is the perfect way to wean parrots. Because every parrot is it own bird so to speak, some wean faster, some slower.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You feed formula until they stop eating it. Have solid foods (but soft, like cooked sweet potatoes, mashed up corn and similar) available to them. Usually they refuse a feeding, and then continue to feed less and less. They and not You are the decision makers in this. THis is called abundance feeding and is the perfect way to wean parrots. Because every parrot is it own bird so to speak, some wean faster, some slower.
Mixing tiny pellets with formula gets them used to the taste and texture of pellets if you plan to include them as part of their diet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts