confused over what bird to get

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I made up my mind to get a TAG, a bird that is smart enough to go with me while I travel, sweet enough to accept the rest of my family, and small enough to go anywhere I go.

But I love GCCs and Too's too. I live in a condo so I cant get a screamer bird, and the smaller birds dont seem to understand travel the way bigger birds do.

I am so confused, I heard Green wing Macaws are good traveling companions but they dont have a quiet voice, and I havent had the contact with them the way I have with Too's and Greys.

I dont know what to get. I need some info on this subject..

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I think any bird can be trained to be a good traveling companion. I once knew this guy that had a yellow ring neck that went everywhere with him. That bird was so well so******ed it went to anyone. IMO a companion parrot is anything you train it to be. Friends of mine will also pack up their Eclectus parrots & take them on camping trips.
What ever bird you decide on i am sure it will be the right bird for you.

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
Yea, it just depends if your bird, not the species, likes to travel. I don't know about no noise with bigger birds, but maybe a TAG, or a CAG would be good. Also, you might want to look into mini macaws if you are going down that path, but don't want a gigantic ball of feathers! There are so many birds out there, and I'm sure you will, find the perfect one, and the bird will find it's perfect human!

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
Yea, I can see a Moluccan Cockatoo, or a Greenwing Macaw on my shoulder while I am fishing, during a camping trip. It has to be a avrage sized bird, one that I can safely tuck under my arm without breaking a hundred feathers if something happens.

Though I think a Conure is to small to safely keep with me during a outdoor camping trip. (I need something I wont squash if it desides to cuddle up againt me in the night)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
First off, write a list of the birds that you are considering, then go to a website like Avianweb or just go to your search engine and plug in the type of bird you want and it will give you a list. Check each bird and what type of pet they make as well as any bad or annoying traits they have like Cockatoos SCREAMING.

Then, to narrow down your search even further, check out You Yube and type in the search area "Green Cheeck Conure noises or vocalizations". Do this with each species and it will give you a list of videos to watch. Make sure and turn your speakers up all the way to get the full effect. This will seem like your in the same room with your prospective bird. You may also want to stand outside of your house, apartment, condo or what ever and listen to see what your neighbors will be hearing several times a day.

If new prospective bird owners would do this before buying a specific bird I'd bet there would be less birds up for adoption and in rescue centers because then the owner would know exactly what they are getting into. Then if they still decide on that Cockatoo or Greenwing while living in an apartment, nothing could have stopped them.:eek:

Now, I hope I haven't offended you in any way with my post and advice. I tend to be straight and to the point or like my grand mother used to say I shoot from the hip. hahahaha.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
My vote goes to the green cheek conure. (Of course) ;)

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I am well aware of Too's screaming, I worked in a shelter for nearly 2 years, I have seen nearly everything, from dogs who were set on fire, to birds that have started mutilating themselfs. (that ones feathers will never grow back, he had pealed himself compleatly, neck to feet)

I have scars from Lovebirds and had a chunk of scalp taken out of my head when I was a child by a Eclectus that didnt like kids. (a story I will not repeat, it was my fault for not seeing the bird) Ive had didgits sewn back on from war wounds from animals, I am well aware of the dangers, and have been around birds all my life. (you try battling a goose your size and weight when your 5, just to try and get back in the house)

I take no offence to your statements, its true, I believe it, and though this is my first time "Owning" a bird, I have taken care of them all my life, so this is going to be my first real pleasure of accually having the good with the not so pleasent tasks. (meaning I never got to play with the birds, I was only ever allowed to clean up after them, and deal with their tantrums) but thats still 8 months from now. I am still researching everything.

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
My vote goes to the green cheek conure. (Of course) ;)

Lol! Yea Rio mom, GO GCC's! problem is, If it snuggles up with me in the sleeping bag I might squash it.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Since you have had previous bird experience, I would suggest getting the bird you really want from the git go. If you think down the road you may want a bigger bird.

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I dont know whats holding me back, Just that I am.

Though I have to say I only will be getting one bird. I already have two cats, it will be unfair that I try to get a second bird after Ive expanded my family to three demanding members.

Truthfully can anyone see A 'Too hikeing with me? And the Idea of a Macaw on my shoulder while I go hiking is just silly.

I Think a TAG would probily be the best Idea...

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I would have to agree. I say go for it if that is what you decide. You probably would want to get one from a breeder that has been hand fed and young so that you can get him acclumated to hiking and so forth.

Most Reactions