CONFUSED *read please *don't skip

luigi555

Apr 16, 2012
i went to go visit the macaw at the rescue the address i received brought me to the foster home. this lady was more of a cockatoo person she had over ten all given up (no surprise). the blue and gold macaw name is buddy he is 10 he has 2 owners the first was a male had him since he was weaned and kept him till he was 8 gave good care then gave him to the son he no longer wanted and then kept in the basement for a year. this women's friend who end up taking the bird from him also only kept him for a year ( she also owned and a bear eye cockatoo) not sure why he was giving up i think bc he was aggressive toward other people. this bird has been a lone bird his whole life with only human interaction so i'm guessing all the birds in the house was making him nervous he started to pluck along the bone on his wings and thighs. his behavior towards me didn't seem aggressive nor mad but confused and nervous. he would flash his eyes and grab the cage but not latch on once he grabbed the cage he would let go and pull his head back. he also raised hairs on his nape for a second i started to talk "nice" to him he then would come over to me flashing his eyes and then would stop seem to be calm but then attach the cage but then he would go to his food bowl and with force shove his head in it and throw the seed out. he also has not been out of his cage since he arrived there nor gotten one on one interaction. does it sound like its just the environment or am i making up reasons so i will get him ?. i asked for the routine she did with him and she said should bring him around the house and let him ride shoulder and spoil him all things that are not advised. i have a daily schedule the bird will learn but my question is does he sound aggressive or scared (i know they go hand in hand). any stories on rescue birds and how it was done will be well appreciated.

Last edited:

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
How experienced with birds are you? I'm not trying to talk you out of this, but, I hope you realize what a job you are taking on. This poor angel has been abused & neglected, and will take a lot of work to rehabilitate and trust you. And until then could do some damage to both you and himself. There are those of us who would not hesitate to take him, but we've had Macaws and other birds. It will take a while for him to trust you, so, good luck with him. Be patient, and consistent. He needs a strong flock leader.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Any rescue,rehome means your going to have to develop your own relationship with them. It does not matter if they were great for the previous owner and did things for them .That its going to be that way for you .This poor guy is probably scared and wary of his situation [what a life] I bet he would love a loving home :).Have you had birds ? Your going to get bit, but that doesnt mean this isnt going to work .You always have to remember to give him a break from the life hes had.Honestly the way I go about my rehomes is no pressure.Im consistent in seeing them but I dont make them do anything they dont want to .Eventually he will take an interest in you .My zon took 2 months to start responding to me .Because I took my time he does more things that I had hoped for. I feel were on the right track. Good Luck

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
...the blue and gold macaw name is buddy he is 10 he has 2 owners

the first was a male had him since he was weaned and kept him till he was 8 gave good care then gave him to the son

he no longer wanted and then kept in the basement for a year.

this women's friend who end up taking the bird from him also only kept him for a year ( she also owned and a bear eye cockatoo) not sure why he was giving up i think bc he was aggressive toward other people.

this bird has been a lone bird his whole life with only human interaction so i'm guessing all the birds in the house was making him nervous

he started to pluck along the bone on his wings and thighs.

his behavior towards me didn't seem aggressive nor mad but confused and nervous.

he would flash his eyes and grab the cage but not latch on

once he grabbed the cage he would let go and pull his head back.

he also raised hairs on his nape for a second

i started to talk "nice" to him he then would come over to me flashing his eyes and then would stop

seem to be calm but then attach the cage but then he would go to his food bowl and with force shove his head in it and throw the seed out.

he also has not been out of his cage since he arrived there nor gotten one on one interaction.

does it sound like its just the environment or am i making up reasons so i will get him ?.

i asked for the routine she did with him and she said should bring him around the house and let him ride shoulder and spoil him all things that are not advised.

i have a daily schedule the bird will learn but my question is does he sound aggressive or scared (i know they go hand in hand).

any stories on rescue birds and how it was done will be well appreciated.

It was kind of hard to read your story so I separated out the points in an effort to understand everything.

I don't think you learned too much about him during this visit other than he gave a warning for you to stay back when he lifted the feathers on his nape and shoulders. But he was relaxed enough to go to his food bowl and show you there was nothing worth eating in it! :D

Are you afraid of him? What is your plan? Are you determined to get a bird you can handle from day one, or are you looking for a companion who will be accepted even if he doesn't want to be touched?

What are your concerns?

OP
L

luigi555

Apr 16, 2012
How experienced with birds are you? I'm not trying to talk you out of this, but, I hope you realize what a job you are taking on. This poor angel has been abused & neglected, and will take a lot of work to rehabilitate and trust you. And until then could do some damage to both you and himself. There are those of us who would not hesitate to take him, but we've had Macaws and other birds. It will take a while for him to trust you, so, good luck with him. Be patient, and consistent. He needs a strong flock leader.

i have 2 years experience with birds i worked at an animal hospital that had a goffin and greater sulfur crested. the goffin at first hated me with some treats and talking he soon became my friend allowing me scoop him up play with his beak etc. the greater kept to himself. i have cared for my aunts eclectus and jardine by learning body and langue and nutrition i feel it is time for me to get a bird i have been doing some visiting and seeing but i kinda felt a click maybe because he is damaged ? i always go into an adoption saying im not gonna get it if its not nice but i find some many things wrong with an environment i just want to take them bc i can give them a better life but if he isn't gonna like me what life is that for me. im so hesitant bc i am gonna have him for 40+ years it not a hamster sorry if i seem unknowing (i actually know alot with animals) i just like other peoples advise as well

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
I am ahead of you by six weeks. I volunteer at a rescue shelter that recently took in 16 birds from a hoarder. These birds were very scared. I remember that the first time I tried to feed them and give them water, I was so scared that I was going to be bit.

Two weeks latter, and I was able to take them out of their crate to the outside aviary. Fast forward to now, and they are eating out of my hands, enjoying my company and a scarlet is trying to adopt me. :)

I only get to see them on weekends, but they do seem to remember me.

My advice is to give it time. Parrots seem to know a good thing when they see it and will let you know that they want you.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Go with your heart, because we say that they pick us, we don't pick them. If you feel a connection, go for it! We are only trying to warn you that this is not going to be a quick & easy fix. And Macaw bites can be bad. If you're prepared to stick with him, no matter what, do it. But, if not...this poor thing has been through enough, so don't have him get bounced around again. Parrots are a lifetime, not a pastime.

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
His threatening behavior is because he is scared and confused. This is a creature who should have spent his whole life with his one flock in the wild and he is confused by the constant changes. You represent possibly one more traumatic change to him. How does he know? We were the fourth home in two and a half years for our Sunny and losing her previous home where she had been for a year both broke her heart and terrified her. She lunged, growled, hissed and bit when she felt she had to for probably three months. Gradually she came to accept and then love us, but it took about a year before we didn't any longer notice the month to month improvements in her behavior. It wasn't overnight but it was worth it. She is our best friend. Don't do it if you aren't prepared for the long haul and ready for a lifetime commitment. I don't think these sensitive intelligent beings can have their hearts broken time and again and not take a long time to heal and rebuild the trust. The other night when we got home late Sunny screamed as we came in the door " is dark!!!" Poor baby. She wants the flock safely together by sunset and she now relishes her time with us.

Last edited:

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
One other piece of advice...

If you are like me and fairly new to macaws, make sure that the shelter is going to be there to help you.

I spoke to the owner of the rescue that I volunteer at and shared my concerns about giving a home to one of the birds. She assured me that she was there to help me. This is a place that not only saves exotics, but saves humming birds, owls, hawks and many others Arizona wild birds. I know that if I make a commitment, I will have the support that I need. Make sure you have support too!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Luigi,
Can you go back and visit more? Bring some good, healthy treats. Maybe a home-made toy. It doesn't sound like he was rejecting you. It sounds like he just didn't know what to make of your presence -- I mean, there you were, making a special visit to see him -- focusing all your loving attention on him. Sounds like he just doesn't know what that is like anymore. But since he had a loving home for years, he should adapt to a new loving home with you if take it slow.

jendaymumma

Mar 11, 2013
We rescued Bob, a handsome, fun, loving, Jenday Conure 2 months ago. I've talked about Bob on this forum many times. He still has times when he regresses. He receives loads of love and attention. I do not see him regressing as often. Several days go by without a bite or a lunge. Yet Monday he bit me 3 times. Someone said "you little s*it" to him. He says that when he KNOWS he done something wrong. However, day by day his aggressive behavior(s) are becoming less. He adores having toys, particularly bells, homemade toys, a foraging dish. He nuzzles me with his beak far more than biting and he's becoming more trusting with regard to his food and water dishes (locked in a closet for a week and ran out of food and water). His vocabulary is growing (no cussing)and I hear him laughing too. A couple of weeks ago as I was fixing something in his cage, he lunged at my arm. I told him "no bite Bob" and he stopped and said, "oops I'm sorry". It's still going to take time. I think we're on the right track and we're in the right home. I'm most certainly in love. He's beginning to trust another human. Is that amazing or what? Enjoy the forum and many thanks. Giving Bob everything it takes to know HE can trust and love again. Always open to all of your lessons. Bring that poor baby home.

OP
L

luigi555

Apr 16, 2012
He was just very hesitant the thin about the foster home is that is 2 hours Fromm house and its hard to get the women on the phone so the next call would to tell if I was taking him or not. Because he was cared and loved for a baby I think that side will come out of him. I'm not scared bites only unprovoked ones only because I'm caught off guard. It was so dumb of me not to bring treats I was so excited and in a rush to go see him, the women explained him a little different on the phone ... I just feel he has potential if he really disliked me I think I would be able to tell. I'm not looking for a bird I can touch first day home even tho that is nice I'm willing to work for the relationship to me it means more.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
If you do not have previous large bird experience, leave this bird where he is and look for something SMALLER and easier to seal with. Rescue birds can be a real handful to deal with hence the constant shuffling from place to place until they hit the rescue center.

If you get this bird, it will more than likely end the same way as previous homes unless you know how to handle the Macaw. The big mistake most macaw owners make to let the macaw frighten them. Once the macaw knows he's scared you, he will continue his bad behavior.

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
luigi555 go with your heart but be prepared to have a lot of time and patience. Lots of good advice here from all the others............thanks.

OP
L

luigi555

Apr 16, 2012
If you do not have previous large bird experience, leave this bird where he is and look for something SMALLER and easier to seal with. Rescue birds can be a real handful to deal with hence the constant shuffling from place to place until they hit the rescue center.

If you get this bird, it will more than likely end the same way as previous homes unless you know how to handle the Macaw. The big mistake most macaw owners make to let the macaw frighten them. Once the macaw knows he's scared you, he will continue his bad behavior.

I work with aggressive animals on a daily bases I'm very good at keeping calm and not being nervous I also change tone of voice , body postion, and energy I give off to make sure the animal is comfortable the feathers on his back were not raised only his nape. I plan to "stick" train him till I learn his limits, and ins and outs. He also isn't a sexed male so first thing would to get him sexed so I can determine if its a female and a little more aggressive bc of the spring

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
luiggi555, before giving any advice on bringing the bird home or not, do you have everything you need for this bird already? I am referring to a cage, food or toys.

As to adopting this macaw, I would visit the bird a few more times or spend a couple of hours there interacting with the bird. At least see how s/he interacts with the staff at the rescue to see if the staff is speaking the truth and if there is potential in being handled. A macaw is not like the birds you have handled before. Please don't adopt out of pity or feel pressured to take the bird.

OP
L

luigi555

Apr 16, 2012
luiggi555, before giving any advice on bringing the bird home or not, do you have everything you need for this bird already? I am referring to a cage, food or toys.

As to adopting this macaw, I would visit the bird a few more times or spend a couple of hours there interacting with the bird. At least see how s/he interacts with the staff at the rescue to see if the staff is speaking the truth and if there is potential in being handled. A macaw is not like the birds you have handled before. Please don't adopt out of pity or feel pressured to take the bird.

This a women who is there bird foster women it's ran from her house I begged and she said I can visit him Sundays so I jumped on that even tho he will still be in the house with the other birds stressing him out will he build a relationship with me ?. he comes with his cage it's a European style macaw kings cage. I have made toys as well as bought some ,i used wooden spoons no toxic and baby blocks and coffee filters( you can twist nuts in it ). Feed I was going to buy the day off bc I wasn't sure what he was on . I am going to buy more just want to figure out what he likes.

OP
L

luigi555

Apr 16, 2012
I will put him on a schedule off a little bit of seed, and pellet. Every morning he will get fruits and nuts. The old owner actually wrote out a list of all the things he likes and doesn't like.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I reread your first post and some of the behaviors you described is probably normal because my blue and gold macaw will become aggressive and throw food out of the cup as well. I have seen somebody else's bird do the same thing before I decided to get a macaw.

When you go visit or before, ask if it's possible to have the bird separated from the others. It may help you with your decision.

Nobody here can predict how the bird will behave towards you after the honeymoon period is over. A lot of rescues offer the adoptor the option to return the bird if it's not a good fit for one reason or another. You may want to look into that before making a decision.

Last edited:

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Luigi,
Do not go with your heart, go with your smarts.

Only you know your limits here. ask yourself some questions before getting involved with this B&G and it's issues.

Can you provide the care for this Macaw, this means, you will need the money upfront for Vet check ups from the start. Make sure they are healthy before bringing them home.
If healthy, Do you have the money to pay for fresh fruit, veggies,pellets, nut and seed mixes, toys, cage if needed, playstands or gyms. Java tree for when they are out of the cage. If you answer is still yes,

Do you believe that you can provide a good loving and perm home for this B&G, if still yes,

Are you a push over when it comes to being tested.

Please understand that taking on a Macaw will change your life.
You will get everything out of this Macaw that you put into them and more. Macaws will test you and you must never give in or give an inch without them earning it. You must become the Alfa in your relationship and or flock leader. You are the one who will set the schedules from waking them in the morning, feedings, baths, bedtimes everyday and at the same times. Macaws thrive on a set schedule just like young children.

The last question, you will need to learn their body language, handling, and training. If you answer is still yes. There is no reason why you should not pick up this Macaw ASAP and start a wonderful life with them. Macaws are amazing, smart, and by far the best pet you will ever own. They are not like dogs and cats. They require your love, time, and understanding. I hope the very best for you and this wonderful Macaw. Thanks Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts