Confused!

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
"Apple" Yellow-sided Green Cheeck Conure
Please don't slap me! >_<

I know I know, you can't sex a young IRN by just looking at it BUT I was wondering if there is SOMEONE out there who has lots of experience and that has had great success at sexing them.

I just brought home a young IRN and while with the breeder, he said he felt very strongly that this one was male. He had me feel the pelvic bones and he insisted that males had wider pelvic bones and females were closer together (which I've read is opposite). I felt two babies and although the difference was HUGE, again, he insisted. I felt very uneasy and my gut was telling me it was female. The baby was not a biter but was very shy and flighty. This baby feels much more comfortable hanging out with my bf. The tail is short compared to pictures I've seen of males and again, my gut tells me it's a she.

Now, I have ordered a DNA kit but I'd hate to have to wait 2 1/2 weeks for results. By then I'm sure he won't have any more babies to trade out.

Again, sorry for this question but I just don't feel connected to this baby. I feel very bad. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401665805.536868.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401665818.050433.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401665834.184278.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401665853.218006.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401665859.264971.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I used Zoogen to do DNA sexing. Didn't have to order any 'kit', just downloaded a form, filled it out, and sent it in.

About DNA Bird Sexing

Young males will probably have shorter tails than adult males simply because they are in their baby feathers. I have noticed a difference between tail lengths between males and females in budgies and cockatiels, however the difference is *very* slight.

I have heard that the head shape between the sexes also slightly differ, but I am not familiar enough to even try guessing!

And yes, pelvic bones is another possible way to sex. The breeder is right, males are closer together than females are. However, when you have a young hen, before she is mature, her pelvic bones may be just as close together as a males is.

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Thank you! He actually insisted that males pelvic bones were wider than females. That's what confused me... I compared my green cheeks pelvic bones and there was definitely a difference between the male and female. I'm going to go back today to get another look at all of the babies one more time. He is a very nice guy and is willing to do whatever possible to make me happy. Thank you so much again!

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
You're right, the breeder had it backwards. Females have wider pelvic bones (for an egg to pass through).

Like Monica said, tail feathers are shorter cause it's a juvenile.

Males tend to have bigger heads in most all parrots. Wider flatter heads are more obvious in some species. If you're used to knowing what to look for it's even evident in juveniles, BUT of course the only sure way to tell I'd a DNA test (or if the bird ever has an x-ray the vet can see the organs).

Pretty bird though! :)

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Thank you. :)

That is what I figured. I mean, if I can't get a DNA test right away I figured this was the best way to AT LEAST try and have a better chance at getting a boy.

I DNA through Health Gene since it's the cheapest I've seen and I've had great experience with them. $12 per blood test.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I just don't feel connected to this baby. I feel very bad.

Don't worry yet!! Sometimes it takes time, sometimes it's not instant :) trust me.

I know we are always reading here how people get a new bird (especially if it's a juvenile) and they say how instantly in love they are with it. That is not always the case though.

I know that with me, of course I think aw, he's cute, etc. but typically it takes some time for me to bond and connect with a baby enough to tell it "I love you" and to really feel it.

I think if someone goes to a breeder or rescue or store and the bird and the person mutually "pick each other", there is of course a much better chance for an instant bond.
When I have gotten birds shipped to me, it is a gradual growing on each other... Like an arranged marriage. LOL:D

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Same thing happened with my female green cheek. I never bonded with her even though I didn't know she was a she right away. She always wanted to be with my bf then eventually bonded to my male. I had to rehome her because my male was becoming fearful of me and was getting nippy. This baby IRN seeks my bf. Lol! Ayyy!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hm, maybe that means your bf needs a bird of his own, and you need another one?

I usually want males too. I've had females before but never eggs. Nowdays I'm afraid to deal with it (kind of scared of it since I never dealt with it before). I think many people out there have this fear about getting a female. Is that a reason you want a male?

Nonetheless, if I get one more bird in the future, I MIGHT consider a hen if enough people could convince me it would be okay :). The reason being, because if I ever got another bird, it would most likely be another Pionus species, and the females are generally known to be much more gentle and and less hormonally aggressive than males. I have too much bird testosterone here lol ;)

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
All of my animals are males and I like to keep it that way =p I just think I get on with them better. I think if this particular bird doesn't feel right for you maybe you are best to take it back and get another one you click with? My current dog and horse both chose me as did my previous horses. I left the shop after meeting my barraband and couldn't stop thinking about him so went back to get him and I just got really lucky with my eckie in the fact I fell in love after buying sight Un seen and same with my new sennie although with both I was very worried I wouldn't connect with them. My first dog I brought because I wanted a dog and wasn't allowed a bigger one at the time so I got him basically for the sake of having a dog. Big mistake and I never got on with him and ended up having to re home him so he could have a better life.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Although if time and money permits perhaps you could keep her for your partner and get another for yourself? Nothing like an excuse for another bird!

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Lol! Unfortunately my bf isn't a big bird fan and I'm sure I'd end up taking care of her.

She was such a BEAUTIFUL bird but I just couldn't connect with her. I prefer male birds but female furry babies.

I took her back and my search continues. Thanks everyone!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Best wishes in your search. I hope you end up finding a new 'feathered' best friend soon :)

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Good luck in finding the perfect bird! Im sure it was a hard decision but it will be the best for you both in the long run! Keep us updated =D

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Thank you so much everyone. You made me feel so much better about it. I thought I was going to get chewed out. If anyone knows of any babies or even an adult male, I live in San Diego. :)

pattito78

Jun 4, 2014
Willis Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringparrot
African Grey parrot
Hi, I too own a IRN @ when I bought it and I say it because I too don't know the sex. It was 1 year and a half from what I was told.
But not a 100 percent sure because I bought off someone who didn't want her. She is feisty and untouchable! She screams all the time. I got so frustrated that I put her cage on the porch. I know I suck. But I didn't know what else to do! So after her ordeal living outside for about 3 months, I brought her back in I changed the toys. And I researched everything I could on IRN. I felt for so long I didn't click with her. I feel she is a female. She is all grey with a very pale white ring. She has pale green on her head and feathers. I'm trying a whole lot more this time. I'm happy to say I see a difference. She doesn't try to bite me and she doesn't scream!!! Thank God! I put in the effort and I see progress.
Be patient and do research on them. I agree with you that for some strange reason females don't like us they like men! So I too wanted males!

Most Reactions

Latest posts