Conure eating onion powder

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Hi, I was watching a movie and one of the snacks I was eating was funyuns which have onion powder in them. I left them on the table and my sun conure flew over and ate half of one. I'm so scared because I heard onion was toxic. I called my vet and left her a message. She should call back any minute now but I'm freaking out. What should I do???

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Best thing is to wait to hear back from your vet and make sure your bird drinks plenty of fluid.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
First off... don't panic. My bet is the powder does not have a high enuff sulfur content to be fatal.... maybe a lil upset tummy. Please keep us posted.

OP
M

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
So my vet called me last night and told me the same thing. I was so worried but she's eating and drinking normally this morning. She does have a vet appointment tomorrow but I'm just so relieved she's okay

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
GREAT!. Happy to read all is well with your youngin. And thanks for the update. Lessons we all learn there... just like toddlers it only takes a minute and they can be in something they shouldn't!

Most Reactions

Latest posts