Clipping wings

Jay1718

Sep 21, 2017
Hi all, after much debate I have decided to have my green cheeks wings clipped. I hate to do it, but with my youngest learning how to unlock and open doors, I think it's for the best.
What should I expect. I have had around a month or so. She is about 2 years old and has never had her wings clipped. She is very much attached to me and the wife. Meaning if she is out of her cage she is normally perched on or snuggling one of us.
I guess I'm wondering if the is gonna be a traumatic event for her.
Thanks in advance

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I recommend having the vet do a "light" clip initially, which will hinder flight but not to the extent where she will drop like a rock. Being used to flight, a significant clip could result in some serious crashes initially.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Please do not think that clipping her wings will keep your bird safe from escaping. Even clipped birds, given enough adrenaline and a good breeze, can still get lost outside! Once outside, they may be in more danger from dogs, cats or even birds of prey.

Should you clip your parrot

Can you instead consider using child safe locks, or keeping your conure in a room that doesn't have direct access to the outside? (i.e. bedroom/spare room with no doors leading outside) Or perhaps hanging curtains around doorways, thus making it more difficult to fly through?

If you do choose to clip, she will be depressed and sad when she can't fly and can't figure out why her wings no longer work.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
There is another option. For just a few dollars you should be able to find some little padlocks to put on cage doors. I HAD to use these because my little conure could unlatch the cage door on his own and let himself out. OOPS.. I see Monica has the same thought. )
I actually found my locks at the local drug store.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Agree with the above. Childproof your doors and the birdcage. I think it would be highly traumatic to take flight away from your bird at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jce2005

Jan 22, 2017
Clovis, NM
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
Wing clipping ??? Yikkkeessss

I got Pico when he was 5 month old with clipped wings and man, was I glad once he lost the clipped flight feathers and re-grew them.... Finally he became a BIRD !!!!

Maybe you should jack up your car, put it on some center blocks and remove the wheels !!! Heyyyyyyyyyyyy, you still got a car and can play with it and sit in it..... That's the way how I feel about a flightless bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts