Conure

Chelise

Mar 13, 2020
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Conure
Hi I need some help, I have a female conure a little over a year old and all the suddenly she hates my glasses and she is attacking my face when they're on please what can I do to make her realize it's not a threat, she also hates other things in my hands like my car keys my toothbrush and makeup.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Was she ok with them before? My birds when I put on glasses get interested and like to climb up on them. A lot of parrots develop unreasonable phobias.

I would spread all the things she hates out on the desk and just have her get used to them. Maybe?

OP
C

Chelise

Mar 13, 2020
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Conure
Yes she's never had a problem with them before, just this morning I took him off in my hand and started talking them and I put them back on my face and she went for my face, not good

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
oh it's not the things then probably, more likely she's mad at you for some slight you have no idea what you possibly did. Give it a few hours, use the time out method if you need to...it should go back to normal.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
search time out method for bonded conures if you don't know what that is.

OP
C

Chelise

Mar 13, 2020
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Conure
Okay I will try that, thank you now I'm thinking of it when I took my glasses off I might have accidentally hit her with them, not hard but maybe she thought it was an attack on her, she has a bit of an attitude

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
there are no rules in bird psychology, but I bet in a few hours all will be ok just like a wing clipping or toenail clipping....get your bird a treat....

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum!
When my GCC gets pissy, I bribe with safflower seeds.
She hated my phone for awhile, told it no, bit phone, bit me when holding phone. I stared to give treats when phone was next to me, have treats when I held phone,,( before she got mad and but) until finally phone was a good thing.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your conure! Agree with all of the above, all those items may be victims of "displacement anger." Most important is teaching that your face, hands, etc are part of "you."

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you everyone for your help, but how do I teach her that my handsome face or a part of me.

In my experience, parrots equate face with person. They tend to treat the rest of the body with more roughness. The only experience I've had with a bird mistreating the face was my BFA who began to bite the jugular. When my other birds with shoulder privileges bother my face, they receive a sharp "NO" followed by a time out of ~5 minutes.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! A thought, while sitting with her , glasses off, as you give a treat, handle the glasses-or anything else that is currently a trigger! Try to work towards wearing them, with special treats! You are going to have to try to divert the aggression, without it being a correction, or notable action!
My JoJo hates my Bluetooth headset! Unless he is mellowed out and soaking wet from a bath! So, every bath, he is riding my shoulder while I am wearing the headset!
The key is Re-association! No different that getting a youngster to take medicine! Fun time is good time!

Most Reactions

Latest posts