Cooked vs Raw veg?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Which veggies do you give your fids cooked and why? My boy loves his veggies both raw or cooked but I was wondering if you all have any preference on how you provide certain veg?

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I mainly do it for a bit of a change... Have done kumara, pumpkin, carrots, broccoli, capsicum, beans and beetroot (which he doesn't seem to like much anyway)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Mostly raw, the only things they get cooked are sweet potato and squash. They also love raw juices and the pulp from the juicer.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The ONLY veggies I serve always cooked are sweet potatoes/yams and the 15 bean soup. :)

All others I prefer giving raw, but just to keep things interesting, I sometimes make a veggie mash. It's all cooked veggies mashed like mashed potatoes. I serve it warm, and they all love it. :)

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
I recently introduced warm mash to Percy and he actually tries to fly to the bowl if I don't bring it over to his cage quick enough after he's seen me with it! LOL!

15 bean soup???? Do tell!!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Sweet potato is Sammie's favorite so it's always cooked. I generally try to sneak other stuff in there like quinoa, flax etc and turn it into a mash

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I recently introduced warm mash to Percy and he actually tries to fly to the bowl if I don't bring it over to his cage quick enough after he's seen me with it! LOL!

15 bean soup???? Do tell!!

Of course I don't use the spice packet that's included. :)

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Ah, I see! We don't get that here. I will google the contents and see what I can find out :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Sweet potato is Sammie's favorite so it's always cooked. I generally try to sneak other stuff in there like quinoa, flax etc and turn it into a mash

I just recently started adding cooked quinoa to the afternoon feed sometimes, and all the birds love it! The finches especially go crazy for it.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Michelle it is sweet potato. I think kumara is the proper name for it.

It's called sweet potatoes or yams here while in your region is called Kumara. Its central/south America crop. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
To make things even more confusing real sweet potatoes and yams are not the same thing :)

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Michelle it is sweet potato. I think kumara is the proper name for it.

It's called sweet potatoes or yams here while in your region is called Kumara. Its central/south America crop. :)

Yams are completely different to kumara over here! Kumara is the Maori name hence why we use it in New Zealand =D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
No they're not the samething but they're listed as both here in the states.

Most Reactions

Latest posts