Cooking safety

amariemo

Apr 18, 2022
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Hello All,

I am a fairly new Conure owner. I am kind of obsessing over safety for my birdie. I know that Teflon/PTFE is bad so I only cook with stainless steel pans and glass pans. I read that there is danger in fumes, odors so tht had me wondering exactly what that means. For example-if I cook hambugers in a stainless steel pan and the odor from cooking fills my apartment - is that harmful? Im not burning but just general stove top cooking leaves a lot of odor. I try to ventilate when I cook but in an apartment it doesnt air out too fast.

Ive given up so much so far - my prized Dyson hairdryer and flat iron, perfume, hairspray, nail polish, microwave popcorn, bathroom privacy and most of my social life. …. :). But he is my best friend and worth it.

Thoughts, tips?

Attachments

• BC004F59-FD74-4060-8BC6-360CAF82D714.jpeg
    BC004F59-FD74-4060-8BC6-360CAF82D714.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1AA913EE-C138-4115-A028-F9462D3156AA.jpeg
    1AA913EE-C138-4115-A028-F9462D3156AA.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 63

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello All,

I am a fairly new Conure owner. I am kind of obsessing over safety for my birdie. I know that Teflon/PTFE is bad so I only cook with stainless steel pans and glass pans. I read that there is danger in fumes, odors so tht had me wondering exactly what that means. For example-if I cook hambugers in a stainless steel pan and the odor from cooking fills my apartment - is that harmful? Im not burning but just general stove top cooking leaves a lot of odor. I try to ventilate when I cook but in an apartment it doesnt air out too fast.
I think you're doing a great job, no need to change anything :)
Ive given up so much so far - my prized Dyson hairdryer and flat iron, perfume, hairspray, nail polish, microwave popcorn, bathroom privacy and most of my social life. …. :). But he is my best friend and worth it.

Thoughts, tips?
You're obviously a caring owner to gave given up so much, I hope your birdies enjoys living with you:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I ALWAYS have the oven exhaust fan on if I’m cooking. Sometimes oils smoke or food burns and I don’t want to accidentally hurt my birds.

I mostly use cast iron.

I have used a hair dryer, nail polish, other things from your list but I use with the bathroom fan on until the dryer is cool, polish is dry, etc.

Most Reactions