Cookwear Problem

KAN450

Oct 16, 2019
Western NY
Parrots
Freyja - 2 y/o pineapple GCC
I use a ceramic coated, carbon steel cookie sheet. It was sitting on my stove and I turned on the wrong burner like an idiot. It charred a circle on the pan and it was smoking a bit. I removed my bird from the area and turned on all fans and opened windows.

Is something like this dangerous like Teflon? Iā€™m freaking out and I donā€™t know what to do.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I donā€™t think itā€™s as dangerous as Teflon, but any damage to the ceramic coating basically negates the nonstick integrity of the pan and you will need to replace it. I only know this because I got into a giant spat with my partner about a tiny chip in our big greenpan ^_^;

If your bird were to suffer ill effects it would be pretty quickly and very obvious. Knowing the brand or type of pan could help us figure out what itā€™s made of and if you need to take any additional measures.

OP
K

KAN450

Oct 16, 2019
Western NY
Parrots
Freyja - 2 y/o pineapple GCC
I donā€™t think itā€™s as dangerous as Teflon, but any damage to the ceramic coating basically negates the nonstick integrity of the pan and you will need to replace it. I only know this because I got into a giant spat with my partner about a tiny chip in our big greenpan ^_^;

If your bird were to suffer ill effects it would be pretty quickly and very obvious. Knowing the brand or type of pan could help us figure out what itā€™s made of and if you need to take any additional measures.

Thank you for your reply! Yeah, Iā€™m definitely planning on throwing out the pan, lol.

Sheā€™s a ~2 year old GCC. The pan involved was this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071W6WW9T?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Iā€™ve been hanging out with her in the closed-off room and as far as I can tell sheā€™s acting normal, thank god.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thanks for the link! Yeah, as far as I can tell thatā€™s a really safe one although you were right to remove your bird from the area as smoke is always bad. Open windows and run the vent in the kitchen and crack a window in the closed room too if itā€™s not too chilly. Iā€™d let it air out a few hours or even overnight if you can and then it should be totally fine.

Sorry this happened to you! Iā€™ve done this before myself, itā€™s scary and frustrating!

Most Reactions

Latest posts