Couple quick questions

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Hi all,

I posted the thread about considering adopting a mourning Amazon...and since that post, I have been reading and I'm sure completely over thinking this entire situation.

Tomorrow I will be meeting Dorita and if all goes as I expect it will, I will most likely come home with her.

I do have a couple questions that have been on my mind a bit and nothing I've read yet, really addresses this, so I'm hoping someone with experience can help me out.

I don't think they really know if Dorita is a male or female. From all the power research I've done I've learned that during breeding season, males can/will become very territorial as it's their job to defend the nest. I know that this can be very frustrating for some amazon owners when their once sweet bird suddenly turns on them. (happens with my green cheek in our house, I always know when it's probably breeding season for him)

The current family told me that Dorita talks very well...and I was wondering if anyone can tell me in the Amazon world, is there a significant difference in the talking ability between males and females?

I'm only wondering because, if it's more likely that Dorita is a male, I need to decide if i'm up for the hormonal changes of a territorial amazon...much more dangerous and intimidating than a territorial conure I'm assuming.

They also weren't sure of her age...but thought around 5...judging from the one picture they sent me of her (posted in my other thread)...I believe, but am not sure...that she is a DYA, but it appears that she is still developing her yellow head, so perhaps that estimate is about right or maybe she is even a bit younger?

Don't DYA's develop their full color around 5?

Also, if I remember right, Amazons are NOT powder down birds like Greys, tiels and too's. (this isn't a huge issue for me, only my adult daughter when she comes to visit as she is terrible allergic to our tiels and pigeon.)

I'm both nervous and excited about tomorrow. Part of me wants this to be total bliss...but a small part of me might be thankful if it isn't...because truly...am I ready to upset the balance in our home? Am I fully prepared for the noise level of an Amazon? Am I going to be able to meet the entertainment needs of an Amazon? I still haven't decided on the perfect place for another large cage! Gaaahhhhh!

Or am I just being selfish....do I ONLY want to take on this bird to satisfy my dreams of having a bird with this ones talking ability and all the stuff I will be able to teach it and the conversations I will be able to have with it?

Am I seeking the gratification of watching her become a healthy fully feathered happy bird once again, because somehow...in my mind, I just know her recovery is going to be nothing short of miraculous! hahaha!

Part of me thinks my mind is made up....and then...I start to overthink and worry and then I'm like....noooo....I'm just going to cancel and not go there....I have plenty of happy healthy well engaged pets...and if I ever want to start traveling with my hubby...I'm going to have to back off in the pet department!

I mention all this stuff to my hubby and he just laughs...I'm like "I don't know what to doooooo!" He laughs and says..."I don't know either...but you have to end the suffering!" ROFLOLOLOL!!

This morning when my birds woke up...they start their morning calling and I thought to myself...okay, my Sun Conure is pretty stinkin' loud, and I lay there trying to imagine an Amazon joining in....I don't think I've ever heard an amazon...other than talking, singing and laughing.

Hmmm....off to youtube to see what I can find.

Thanks for listening all. I just realized I've been ranting...

Ugh!

Toni

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Um, Wow (* head spinning)

Where do I start. Zons are strange and you have to learn their body language. (not an option)

I feel that when hormonal, Male or Female makes little difference in a Zon. They all get cranky.

Age, Who cares. I mean really. If it is a healthy, kinda well mannered bird, does it matter?

Are you over thinking things? YES YES YES!!!!!!

Relax and see what tomorrow brings. Before you decide on taking it home, see if you can take it somewhere out of its comfort zone. (Garage, car) see then how it acts.

And finally, before you leave home to see the bird, make sure you have the spot to put him ready and food prepped. CAUSE, you know you are taking it already!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I agree with Captsteve 100%.

My DYH Amazon is rehomed and at 18 years he can have his moments. But they are only moments.

DNA testing is the only way to tell whether the Amazon is in fact a male or female. Whether it is a male or female, it is possible for either to be territorial.

Learning Amazon Body Language is very important in quickly becoming comfortable with them.

Relax!

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
My female zon is the sweetest thing ever. I got her in March. She is not loud and does speak a few words. She has conversations only she understands though lol.

I had an African grey prior to this. And Chiquis body language isn't terribly different honestly. I do think I got lucky though.

When you meet the bird tomorrow you will know.
Just understand it may take months for you to have a good relationship. I was lucky that chick was so well adjusted she literally was at home day 1. My other pets don't bother her and my gcc was added at the same time.
My lovebirds morning calls are way louder than either of theirs! Lol

And yes you're overthinking!

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Oh and Chiqui is DNA female and 5 next month.

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Davy Jones (FKA Buddy) Adopted 6/2015 @ 5 yo.
Blue and Gold Macaw Harley Quinn (FKA Harvey) Adopted 11/24/2015 @ 15 years old
My Davy isn't super loud (I have had macaws, 'toos, 'tiels) apparently he only gets loud when I leave. He calls to me when I leave the room, and i have a whistle for him and settles him down once he hears it. My roommate says he calls for me for about 15 mins after I leave, then is pretty quiet most of the time.

Let us know when you get s/he home! My Davy has been a total new experience, 'Zons are a whole new world for me, and only after two months he has wiggled his way into my heart!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My Amy is hardly ever loud..and if she is,she TALKS and doesn't screech..and even after 27 years with her,yup,she can have her moments..and yup,I've been bitten many times..to the point of blood being drawn.

BUT..98% of the time she is the sweetest girl I could have. She loves to have her head scratched..and walk around with me,and go outside...rides in the car...to the stores where people just flock to see her..and she is well mannered..

Go for it!

Jim

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
My BFA is supposed to be female although I don't think she has ever been DNA'd. She does get a little territorial, but then so does my Sun Conure. As for noise level, the two of them are both loud at times, but not ALL the time. My SC's "screeches" are much more loud/annoying, to me anyway, than my BFA. But like I said, it's not all the time. Body language is a must to learn with Amazons, but it's pretty easy to learn most of the time. Can't wait to see what your decision is.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I posted the thread about considering adopting a mourning Amazon...and since that post, I have been reading and I'm sure completely over thinking this entire situation.

YES. YOU ARE.

The current family told me that Dorita talks very well...and I was wondering if anyone can tell me in the Amazon world, is there a significant difference in the talking ability between males and females?

NOPE. NONE WHAT SO EVER.

Don't DYA's develop their full color around 5?

THEY CAN KEEP GETTING SUBTLE CHANGES UP TO AROUND AGE 12.

Also, if I remember right, Amazons are NOT powder down birds like Greys, tiels and too's.

NO, AMASZONS ARE NOT POWDER BIRDS.

Am I fully prepared for the noise level of an Amazon? Am I going to be able to meet the entertainment needs of an Amazon? I still haven't decided on the perfect place for another large cage!

OVERTHINKING IT AGAIN... JUST SLIGHTLY! MY ZONS ARE BOTH FAIRLY QUIET BIRDS...

do I ONLY want to take on this bird to satisfy my dreams of having a bird with this ones talking ability and all the stuff I will be able to teach it and the conversations I will be able to have with it?

DON'T COUNT ON THAT. BUT THEY CAN BE VERY SILLY ENTERTAINING

Am I seeking the gratification of watching her become a healthy fully feathered happy bird once again, because somehow...in my mind, I just know her recovery is going to be nothing short of miraculous! hahaha!

DON'T LAUGH. I'VE DONE IT MORE THAN ONCE...

I mention all this stuff to my hubby and he just laughs...I'm like "I don't know what to doooooo!" He laughs and says..."I don't know either...but you have to end the suffering!" ROFLOLOLOL!!

HUBBY IS BEING POLITE. THE REST OF US ARE SAYING OCD... (LIKE WE HAVE ROOM TO TALK, EH?!)

I don't think I've ever heard an amazon...other than talking, singing and laughing.

TRUE STORY. MY DUSKY CONURE WAS A SCREAMER. SCREAMING PROTOCOLS DIDN'T WORK ON HIM. MY AMAZON TRAINED HIM TO STOP SCREAMING. FOR STARTERS, SHE SAT OVER HIS HEAD, BEANING HIM IN THE HEAD WITH BEADS UNTIL HE SHUT UP...

THEN, TO REINFORCE HER POINT, SHE GOT BEAK TO BEAK WITH MY DUSKY, LET OUT THE FULL ON AMAZON ALARM CALL, THAT WAS SO LOUD HE NEARLY FELL OFF THE PLAYSTAND.

BEFORE HE RECOVERED FROM THAT SHOCK, SHE WAS DANGLING ANOTHER BEAD OVER HIS HEAD...

SO, THEY CAN BE SIGNIFICANTLY LOUDER THAN A CONURE, BUT THEY DON'T VOCALIZE AS OFTEN AND USUALLY THEY'RE NOT AS CONSISTENTLY LOUD.

IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER, INCLUDING FOSTERS, I HAD EIGHT OF THEM AT ONE TIME...

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
I'll put in my 2 cents, but let me warn you! I learned 1.5 cents of those 2 from the good people here, and the 0.5 cents because I suck at reading Amazon body language. Willie blew a vein on my fore arm without drawing blood. That's how much PRESSURE is behind his bite. I've had him 3 months now and we are adjusting to each other. He trusts me as much as I trust him! He steps up when he needs my help getting off the floor or out of an impossible position. I get to pet his head when he feels like it. He gets to eat treats out of my hand. Pretty good so far :)

Willie just talks nonsense, some sense, he sings "Twinkle Twinkle little star" and "Old Mc Donalds". He calls me "Maja" ( I make him watch old German children's cartoons), sing 'Lilly Marlene' to him, etc. I'm just a silly person and Willie is getting as silly as I. He is not loud, he does not scream. I've had a wild-caught amazon before, and that was a different story alltogether. She didn't bite and was fully bonded, but boy she knew how to make that jungle sound......you could hear her from blocks away.

Just go for it. Amazons are like a box of chocolate .... you never know what you're gonna get!

Sassy12

Aug 25, 2015
Media
Belle, Missouri
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Well, where to begin. My Yellow Shouldered Amazon bit me about 3 weeks ago, on the lip. She was frustrated over me spending time away from her, I walked up to the cage at 3 pm and she ruffled her feathers and acted aggressive. I did not think she would bite, but she did. It was a quick bite and split my lip. I know birds and should have waited until she came out of her mood. I will not make that mistake twice. Reading a bird's mood is very important. With a strange Amazon, the bird would have done worse damage. Instead of a split lip, I would have had a chunk of my lip laying in her cage. If was like my son approach my conjure. He was teasing it. He went to kiss the bird and the bird bit and would not let go. If the bird had been a Amazon, the bird would not have merely hung on to his lip. It would have taken a chunk out of his lip. Amazons are one or two person birds. So they are not friendly toward anyone whom walks into the room. It is important to read an Amazons mood before trying to handle it. This Amazon has been with me, 8 years. Since 6 moths old. It does not matter to her. But 99 percent of the time, she is very sweet and gentle to me. Sassy is so friendly to me, let's me scratch her head, play with her under my shirt, pet her wings, talks. But when in her mood, she can cause damage too. That is why I open the door to her cage and let her decide to come out. Only forcing her out will make her aggressive and bite. I knew she was in a aggressive mood when I tried to kiss her. So it was my bad. I did not yell or get angry, but merely walked to the bathroom to stop the bleeding. Grabbed a peice of cheese and fed it to her and took her out, a half hour later.

Sassy12

Aug 25, 2015
Media
Belle, Missouri
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Sassy is also very quiet. I never hear her scream much. More quiet than a parakeet or apartment conjure. She is not the typical Amazon. She is a shy parrot - don't say nothing around a lot of people. She is nosey- meaning she watches what we are doing. Let us go get something to eat and she begs for food.Hello, sneezex, barks, wolf whistles for a bite. Sometimes we raise our voice and Sassy will scream than. But not a monthly thing. So her discription on Wikipedia is fairly accurate for her disposition.The most quiet parrot I have ever seen. She is cleaning or grooming herself right now. Getting ready for bed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts