Diameter of perches

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Anyone know the right perch diameter for an Alex ? Buddy definately needs new perches.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Various sizes are good, it helps exercise the feet. Main perch would be bigger enough so that the toenails grip into the perch not wrap round.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would think 1" diameter, minimum, for an alex, considering how big their feet are... however, as mentioned, various sizes would be ideal!

Ian

Sep 10, 2012
I did some experiments and they seem to prefer to roost on an apple branch which is about the same diameter as your finger, if I remove those the next choice are hanging rope circles.

I think the guidance (in so far as anything online is actually true...) is 75% foot wrap, I just tested it on my java (which they don't like because its slippy) and it comes out as roughly 3/4 inch or 2cm diameter.

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
We have about 3 or 4 different thicknesses, he always chooses the biggest one(possibly only because it's the highest, but yea I wouldn't say anything too thin. Don't forget as well that they'll usually chew thru any perch, so nice thick hardwood is good.

What country are you? Aus has some really good suppliers that I can pass you on to

Most Reactions