DIY Bird Carrier

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
I'm looking to make my own bird carrier and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what I should make it out of and dimensions. I have a jenday conure so I was thinking of making it 12"LX10"WX18"H and out of acrylic. I will be milling out 1/4" holes for ventilation along the walls and attaching a perch 3" off the floor.

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
To be honest I use a cat carrier. I drilled a hole in the side and put a cage perch there. Someone on here have me the idea and I used it for my GCC :) Works great!

LaurieC

Oct 24, 2014
Zigzag, OR
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Maverick),
Cockatiel (Tweak),
Sun Conure (Jack)
I have made carriers and collapsible cages using anodized aluminum tubing from EZ Tube and Esto Connectors. It is quick and easy to use for framing an enclosure, and you can use acrylic and/or wire mesh panels to enclose it.

OP
J

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
I have made carriers and collapsible cages using anodized aluminum tubing from EZ Tube and Esto Connectors. It is quick and easy to use for framing an enclosure, and you can use acrylic and/or wire mesh panels to enclose it.

Isn't aluminum on the list of metals to avoid? I know anodizing is just putting a coating over the aluminum to make it less likely to rust. But is it actually bird safe?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

Isn't aluminum on the list of metals to avoid? I know anodizing is just putting a coating over the aluminum to make it less likely to rust. But is it actually bird safe?

Aluminum is bird-safe. My Kings Cages travel cage for my galah is aluminum.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
You could look up falconry boxes or 'giant hoods' - remember that the perch goes sideways (ie if you're in a car, the sides of the parrot are facing front and back)
There are lots of DIY examples online, just need a little bit of altering to make them suitable for parrots :)

OP
J

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots

Do they have hinges and stuff to open the cage or do you have to slide out a panel?

Most Reactions

Latest posts