Do tail feathers come in as pin feathers?

KateMyshkin

Oct 19, 2017
Florida
Parrots
Paco. A hybrid conure.
My guy has had several pin feathers on his head and neck. He’s lost many tail feathers and I see one growing in but it doesn’t seem to be a pin feather. How do tail feathers grow?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
My guy has had several pin feathers on his head and neck. He’s lost many tail feathers and I see one growing in but it doesn’t seem to be a pin feather. How do tail feathers grow?

All feathers come in as pin feathers. The difference is the size. The larger tail feathers will come in as a larger version (thicker) and then longer.

Commonly, they only loss a couple of tail feathers at a time.

OP
KateMyshkin

KateMyshkin

Oct 19, 2017
Florida
Parrots
Paco. A hybrid conure.
My bird has lost about three tail feathers since I got him two months ago. I haven’t seen any new tail feather growing yet. I’ve seen many pin feathers on his face and neck. I guess I just haven’t seen them yet!

OP
KateMyshkin

KateMyshkin

Oct 19, 2017
Florida
Parrots
Paco. A hybrid conure.
The weird part is that he has a small feather on the outside /backside that looks like the color of his tail feathers but is a very small feather. Lol I thought it was a tail feather growing .. der.. i just watched a bunch of YouTube videos but none really showed a tail feather just blood feathers on wings and other places.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is series of overlapping Feathers from above and below that support the Tail Feathers under-load. They are smaller than the longer tail feather.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
New feathers are called pin feathers or blood feathers. Pin feathers typically refer to the smaller body and head feathers, where-as blood feathers usually refer to the larger wing and tail feathers. In truth, they are one and the same - they start out as pins with a blood supply.

It's possible that you don't see the tail feathers as "pins" because by the time you *do* see the feather, it has already emerged from the shaft.

Quick search, I found a website with a picture of a new tail feather growing in - although the keratin should have been broken off at least an inch or two (at the end) by the time the image was taken.

Green Cheek Conure Molting | PetGreenCheekConure.com

Most Reactions