Do you really know your parrot

Tman

Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2021
Messages
173
Reaction score
98
Location
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Pegasus /Indian ringneck
Yukon/ Cockatiel
Tango/ Green cheek conure
Cash/ cinnamon GCC
Is your parrot right handed our left handed ?. Witch one do they eat with? Witch one do they use to step up first. This is called paying attention.
When working with your parrots paying attention to your parrots is important
Like their eyes they pin their eyes when they are excited. Whether happy or angry.
But have you ever seen your parrot slowly open and close its eyes. That is a sign of trust. And by you doing it back it is saying all is ok. Think about it. Just like their beaks. The beak tells you their are very angry they are upset, they love you, all with the beak. Even their tail feathers, gives you an idea of what is going on. It's 3:00am can't sleep and was thinking about this.
Here are pictures showing two examples of things to watch for. First photo, you don't think the know their name. I called Cash. I just used his name and this is what I got. Second photo he's right handed .
This is what happens when you can't sleep and it 3:00am.
 

Attachments

  • 20260807_074158.webp
    20260807_074158.webp
    120.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20260820_172939.webp
    20260820_172939.webp
    273.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
I know mine dominate side. Right, foot, looks up right, down right. Lunge straight after cocking head side to side. Hangs upside down right using left for mischief. Reaches step up right. If left I watch out. I took to long for a name. One of my sisters called her forever nameless. Nameliss was what she answered to. I altered the spelling to fit how she pronounced it. Mine is feather oriented for emotions. Start head and neck pleasure. Start wing and body defense, annoyance anyway just watch out. There's one thing I learned that I must keep an eye on. Out of cage time and feathers tight against her body. Mischief and planning are in the works. Once decided normal relaxed feathers. I don't have to go outdoors to bird watch. Once upon a time I enjoyed silence. Now silence triggers my red alert.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
Salty's a lefty in everything - stepping up, holding food, even in climbing, he starts with the left foot. Shaking hands - lefty. High Five - lefty. I've read that most parrots are the Devil's Children (medieval belief).
 
Lumi being young she tried both but seemed to favor her left. Now at 20 weeks she favors her left foot.
 
Back
Top Bottom