Don’t know what to do

maribo

Jul 5, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck
I currently have a four-month Indian ringneck, and it's been sick for a while now. We've had him for a month now. It has high white blood cells, and the doctor said
he has chronic inflammation and will need more antibiotics. The breeder from where I got it from had a warranty to take it back, and they could take care of it, or I stay with him and take care of him or get a refund
or get a new Bird. I have grown this attachment with my Bird. My vet advised me not to take it back and to provide the care instead of the breeder because she
would feel more comfortable if I took care of him. After all, they did have him in a seed and millet diet. Has anybody experienced this or has any advice?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I currently have a four-month Indian ringneck, and it's been sick for a while now. We've had him for a month now. It has high white blood cells, and the doctor said
he has chronic inflammation and will need more antibiotics. The breeder from where I got it from had a warranty to take it back, and they could take care of it, or I stay with him and take care of him or get a refund
or get a new Bird. I have grown this attachment with my Bird. My vet advised me not to take it back and to provide the care instead of the breeder because she
would feel more comfortable if I took care of him. After all, they did have him in a seed and millet diet. Has anybody experienced this or has any advice?
I don't think you should send the bird back unless you are absolutely unable to provide for it, which you shouldn't have it in the first place.

First, it will be stressful for the bird, and sad for you to give back the bird you grew an attachment towards.

Second, the breeder doesn't take the best care, as you stated, "They did have him on a seed and millet diet."

Third, if this breeder kept him on an only seed diet, I doubt he'll be willing to give him the medical attention he needs.

I honestly think it's wrong to refund or replace a bird as if it's an object. Unless you can't care for it anymore. In that case I think it's better to find a responsible person to care for it.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I wouldn't be able to give him back. I think he has a better chance with you honestly, since you already have a vet and a treatment plan.

I adopted a ringneck in march that was sick. He's still being treated. The rescue did as good a job as they were able to, but I know my bird is doing better with me.

It's definitely been scary for me to try to do everything right when this is my first parrot, but he's eating veggies now, and some pellets, and has a vet, so I know it's the right thing to do. Plus I love him :)

One thing I reminded myself a lot when I was trying to decide whether to adopt him knowing he was sick, is that the first year or two might be really hard and expensive, but the next 28 after that will be amazing.

Whatever you decide will be right. But to me your post sounds like you already love the little man, and I think he's in good hands with you ❤️

OP
maribo

maribo

Jul 5, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck
I wouldn't be able to give him back. I think he has a better chance with you honestly, since you already have a vet and a treatment plan.

I adopted a ringneck in march that was sick. He's still being treated. The rescue did as good a job as they were able to, but I know my bird is doing better with me.

It's definitely been scary for me to try to do everything right when this is my first parrot, but he's eating veggies now, and some pellets, and has a vet, so I know it's the right thing to do. Plus I love him :)

One thing I reminded myself a lot when I was trying to decide whether to adopt him knowing he was sick, is that the first year or two might be really hard and expensive, but the next 28 after that will be amazing.

Whatever you decide will be right. But to me your post sounds like you already love the little man, and I think he's in good hands with you ❤️
Thank you for your response. what was wrong with him, if you don’t mind me asking? Hope he feels better, it’s always scary having a sick birdie because they are very fragile.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He's being treated for Chlamydiosis - he had signs of respiratory illness like feather staining above his nares, and even started visibly losing weight :(

He also plucks his feathers which the previous owner said started after a skin yeast infection. So he's been through a lot!

OP
maribo

maribo

Jul 5, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck
He's being treated for Chlamydiosis - he had signs of respiratory illness like feather staining above his nares, and even started visibly losing weight :(

He also plucks his feathers which the previous owner said started after a skin yeast infection. So he's been through a lot!
I’m so sorry, I can’t even image what you’re going through it must be very scary and stressful. My milo lost about 12 grams.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Milo is such a cute name :)

Well I think Milo is lucky to have you, and it sounds like you have a good plan in place with your vet.

How is he doing overall? Is he pretty comfortable around you? It sounds like he's eating a more varied diet already with you which is awesome!

Welcome to the forums, by the way! I get too excited to meet new ringneck people and forget my manners :)

Most Reactions