Dyes. What is safe?

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hi all, I like to make my little girls toys but don't know what to use to make natural items brighter. Vegetable dyes is the norm but short of making my own (how) where do you buy them? what do you use to dye items for colour?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi all, I like to make my little girls toys but don't know what to use to make natural items brighter. Vegetable dyes is the norm but short of making my own (how) where do you buy them? what do you use to dye items for colour?
Hi MissMac! As you are based in Australia, you might like to check out this site for both ready-made toys and DIY supplies. I have spent WAY too much money here over the years... :rolleyes:

My Parrot Shop also stocks stainless steel bells which are a vast improvement on the average cheap bells that come with most toys and are made of very unsafe "mystery metal". Personally though, I really like the tubular style stainless steel bells you can get from www.petshopdirect.com.au which are pretty much indestructible, and have the added bonus that the clapper cannot be reached and therefore cannot be inadvertently swallowed by your bird. Plus they have the most beautiful tone :) They're called the "Paradise Stainless Steel Chime Bell", and
look like this...

paradise-stainless-steel-chime-bell-small.jpg

Happy shopping!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
gel food coloring works great for dying wood. I think the ratio is like 1 tbsp of gel to 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol

Most Reactions

Latest posts