How do I make sure that the toys I buy will spread no disease to my bird?

mincrosoft

Dec 27, 2021
Parrots
galah
Hi,
I'm planning to buy some toys for my bird but after doing some research, I'm a bit worried about the possible diseases which can spread to birds through surfaces likes toys. What methods of disinfection can I do to ensure that these toys are safe for my bird to play with?
Also, to anyone in Australia, could you please recommend a really trusted and safe place to shop for bird toys?

Thank you :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
To answer part B of your question, I get a lot of ready made toys and DIY parts from www.myparrotshop.com and www.parrotsupplies.com.au although the latter seems to have a lot of "sold outs" on their site right now, combination of Christmas demand and supply issues I imagine.

Because I am the queen of paranoia, if I am in the market for bells I go for the stainless steel tubular variety available at www.petshopdirect.com.au and they look like this ...

paradise-stainless-steel-chime-bell-small.jpg

They come in small and large sizes, and tubular design means it's not possible for birdie to reach and remove the clapper, making them very safe. Plus the added bonus is they have a really lovely tone :)

Happy shopping!

Most Reactions