Emergency!! Please help.

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
Luna accidentally preened one of her blood feathers. We managed to get it out cleanly (I'm still on edge), but I'm still scared. How do I know if it's all good? She's not making cries of pain anymore when she moves her wing. I'm just...very scared.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Clean removal is a good start! Is she bleeding significantly or have you stopped the flow?

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
We caught it fairly quickly so there wasn't much blood. I'm not sure is the problem. We put some styptic powder just in case. I'd have to open up her wing again but when we checked after we removed it, it didn't look like anymore blood was coming out.

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Here's the feather. I'm almost thinking it was almost done growing when it broke because I don't see any blood at the tip.

0VEOGtI.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Yes that feather does look pretty well developed, it probably didn’t have much blood in it. As long as the bleeding has stopped Luna should be fine - she’ll just have to grow another new one now!

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Okay. From what I could see, it wasn't bleeding. I feel like didn't wet down the feathers enough though. I'm unsure if I should grab her again and check. She was very stressed and I don't want to stress her out more ideally. Should I check again?

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
im going to try to get some sleep. I dont want to stress her out more because of my paranoia.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, I’m at work and due to the highly secretive nature of my job im not allowed to have a phone on me! Hopefully you got a chance to have another peek at the wing before you went to bed but I think as long as you staunched it up and the bleeding stopped it should be ok. Fang busted a blood feather too when he was young but he bled like a stuck pig and it was panic stations for me too!

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
So long you pulled blood feather straight out, it will stop bleeding usually right away. Looking at the picture you pulled it all the way, so she sure be fine. Just look at area and if no more blood, mist spray most the blood way to clean her up, if not that much blood on her then leave it on her and put her back in her cage and let her rest. They bust up a feather every so often, my Wylie broke one a few month back and on her next molt came back in fine.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I think you did a great job! A little paranoia isn't a bad thing when it comes to the health and safety of our fids!!

OP
M

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
It's not a worry LaManuka. Thank you very much for helping me out. Scott & ParrotGenie as well. She's acting as normal this morning but we're still going to let her get some rest. Time to start building a trust bond again, but as long as she's okay I can deal with that. She's preferring my husband right now because I was the one holding her down yesterday.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The bottom half of a blood feather is like a faucet for blood. Once you yank it out, the blood vessel closes and the faucet stops.

Most Reactions

Latest posts