Bird Safe Household Cleaning Products?

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
We just moved back into our house after a 6 week kitchen remodel. My house is in need of a deep cleaning.

I am wondering what non-toxic cleaning products people on the forum use that are bird safe. I was reading some of the ingredients when I was at the grocery store and a lot of them use essential oils for scents. I just want non-toxic cleaning products for say countertops, toilet bowl, shower tile, etc. that does not have any scents or essential oils.

Looking forward to your comments.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
We just moved back into our house after a 6 week kitchen remodel. My house is in need of a deep cleaning.

I am wondering what non-toxic cleaning products people on the forum use that are bird safe. I was reading some of the ingredients when I was at the grocery store and a lot of them use essential oils for scents. I just want non-toxic cleaning products for say countertops, toilet bowl, shower tile, etc. that does not have any scents or essential oils.

Looking forward to your comments.

Hi LauraC, use white vinegar and water; baking soda (soda bicarb) as is or mix with water as paste; lemon juice in water; soak lemon, lime or orange rind in warm water for scent then remove and add lemon or vinegar to water. Just google same and you will find recipes for 'grease cutting', 'counter cleaning' and other such non-toxic cleaning blends.

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Not sure how I'd do deep cleaning. What we typically do each week is:

- Cairo sits outside beside a fan
- We run all the fans in the house
- Everywhere Cairo might be, I typically use white vinegar and water, followed by F10
- For the kitchen and bathroom, I use sensitive skin cleaning detergents or eco-friendly cleaning detergents, then rinse again with water
- We then air out the house with the fans running for the rest of the day while Cairo sits outside or we go flying with him

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Vinegar, baking soda, hot water. It's astounding what you can do with these!

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Vinegar, baking soda, hot water. It's astounding what you can do with these!

I wish I clean the entire house in vinegar, but apparently it eats into or discolors rock-based materials. And since we live in a tropical country, the kitchen tops and whole house flooring is either granite or marble! :/

Most Reactions

Latest posts