Broken lock (help)--escape artist

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Noodles has officially destroyed the main lock to her cage (popped out the spring)--It is welded onto the cage, so it isn't something that I can really replace. Last night, I had to zip-tie her in overnight (lol)---she didn't try to get out because she was sleepy, but I am looking for some sort of stainless steel lock that can go over the old one (or a chain-type lock to loop between the door and cage body). Any thoughts? I am looking at d-links on Amazon, but I am worried the opening won't be wide enough (or possibly long enough) to fit her cage situation...

She has also taken to opening all of her feed doors LOL---so much for our good run (we made it for a long time without these escape shenanigans, but all good things must come to an end).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Cockatoos are relentless Houdinis! I share your pain and have had virtually all standard cage locks defeated. Best bet is to scour the local big-box hardware store for a variety of SS clamps, etc and return those that don't work.

For one cage, I went to a fishing tackle store and bought a roll of stainless steel wire and used it to semi-permanently hard-close some doors.

Almost like a superpower arms race! Once you top the opponent, they will find a workaround and raise the stakes!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
ATF locks for luggage? Hard to pick. Noodles gets past them , he belongs on some talk show!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
My experience with our Amazons has been that they do not waste their time with locks. They just simply disassemble the cage itself!.

On the expensive side, but very strong product group is SS fitting for the off-shore boating products. This group contains any number of shackles and like devices that hold tens of thousands of tonnes of force.

A Too with time can defeat most anything designed to cage one!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I had had Smokey for only two days. I come home from work one day to find her on the kitchen table,eatting the apple pie my wife had made the night before!:eek: She had figured out how to open her food bowl door and get out! ( Smokey...not my wife :D) I ended up getting mini pad locks to lock all the food/water bowl doors and her front door. It was a major PITA trying to remember what key fit what luck!:confused::rolleyes:;)

Jim

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
The smaller padlocks with combinations (similar to the TSA luggage ones) work well - you don’t have to find keys in an emergency and they can be set to all have the same combo. We use them at the rescue for food doors on some of the cockatoo cages - as some toos are very adept at escaping cages at inopportune moments :)

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
Hey Noodles, A&E seems to have a pretty descent solution, let me try to explain and maybe you can visualize it. Midway of the door is the Regular door lock. It’s a turn clockwise kinda lock and a hook like latch attaches the other side securing the door, but 2 ½ feet up it a football shaped piece of metal, thin plate. This piece of metal turns freely 360 degrees, but gravity keeps it forced down across the top of the door. In order for me to get in or Zoey come out, I have to systematically turn both to open the door, and when closed I latch door lock and football naturally hangs as gravity has it to keep door closed. In order for Zoey to get out she would have to first turn door latch counter clockwise but then be able to turn metal at top 2 ½ feet away to open the door. If you would like I can picture both for you and attach them if it would maybe inspire some ideas. It works surprisingly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most Reactions

Latest posts