Feeding Questions

annalese

Jun 22, 2018
Ohio
Parrots
Atlas- Indian Ringneck
Ginger- Cockatiel
I am getting a baby Indian Ringneck soon. (DNA tested male)

I believe the breeder is weaning him onto some sort of Cockatiel mix, possibly Kaytee? So when he gets home, I am going to switch him over to pellets, Harrison's specifically.

I have heard several different things about feeding, and I was wondering if it is best to leave food out all day, or to feed in meals?

And if feeding in meals, how much should be given and how many times a day?

Harrison's pellets would be given along with fruits and veggies daily.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, I'm a huge Harrison's fan...
Here's what I usually contribute.
Harrison's Bird Foods
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
Another couple of ideas...
My ol' man is an athlete and health nut. He actually EATS all the good stuff, so it's always around. I find that tossing various stuff into the food bowls at random is good... the variations and differences seem to stimulate curiosity and attention.
The other idea... if you can stand it (lol) EAT the stuff in front of the birds, yes. That encourages them. I have also found that if my ol' man eats stuff in front of the bird, the bird WANTS it for himself. Kinda a rivalry thing!

I leave pellets out all day and put fresh stuff, mostly veggies and maybe healthy nuts like almonds.

The Rb is just naturally skinny bird, so overeating is no problem... some birds need to have their weight watched for them, though.

A perch-scale-thingie is a great way to monitor health, by the way. Or you can use a kitchen food scale if your bird will stand on it.

Good for you for planning and paying attention to food issues!

Most Reactions