Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am so distraught over what I did to my Salty last night.

So every Tues night I go to a bluegrass music jam session like 6:30-10 or 11:00. Sometimes Geri can get Salty back into his cage by bribing him with some pine nuts, sometimes I have to just brave it out and pick him up and take the bite (because he HATES when I miss our nightly training sessions). But last night, I get home early, wasn't feeling well, at around 9PM, which is just 15 min after we ususaly train. I offered Salty a few pine nuts and he stepped right up, thinking it was time for training, but instead I whisked him into his cage for the night. The look he gave me was all it took, I know he was totally confused and hurt. The more I think about it, the worse I feel. Here is this great parrot, smart and who is a family member, who depends on me for everything and I shut him out. Almost like he was trying to say 'Daddy why are you doing this to me??'. Today he is sulky and I know I am going to try and make it up to him, but with parrots, they remember so well everything that happens to them. I absolutely hate that I treated him like that, and I pray I haven't killed our relationship.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh no! Im sorry to hear you’re feeling distraught. I can relate; I feel the same way if I ever disappoint any of my pets. Sometimes life gets in the way and things just happen. In the end they know we love them. You probably feel worse than he does and I’m sure Salty will forgive you! Maybe he will perk up after his next training session.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
You taught me the idea of a trust savings account. You and Salty have a lot of deposits in the trust bank, so hopefully once he knows you understand he's unhappy he'll be back to normal.

I made a mistake with one of my favorite Amazons where I volunteer and was SO relieved he forgave me pretty quickly - I felt so sick and apologized to him so many times!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wow Al !! That is really stepping in it!!
20 /20 hindsight and it would have be a 'saving grace' moment to have simply ran a training session last night, but that did not happen.
Time to set the Begging - Forgiveness rug down and with at least a ton of 'I'm So Sorry!! Begin the process of repairing the relationship!!

I will ask Julio if he will call Salty and pass along the ups and downs of having Humans as friends and family. Julio has a few real horror stories that he had experienced when he lost his older owners and their kids that had forgotten the promise that had agreed too!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You taught me the idea of a trust savings account. You and Salty have a lot of deposits in the trust bank, so hopefully once he knows you understand he's unhappy he'll be back to normal.

I made a mistake with one of my favorite Amazons where I volunteer and was SO relieved he forgave me pretty quickly - I felt so sick and apologized to him so many times!
Wow, this is so perfectly said!

Al, Salty will forgive you, and I bet it will happen quickly. All he has ever known is love from you, and that will override any misdemeanors he thinks you have committed:)

My flock is used to seeing me most of the day, and I've only been able to make it downstairs to just see them for a few minutes 10 times now since I've been sick.
They have finished punishing me by ignoring me, and have welcomed me back into the flock.

Sometimes life gets in the way, and we have to take care of our health so we can continue to be there for them.

The fact that you're beating yourself up shows how much you love him, and he knows that too. I bet that once he punishes you to his satisfaction that this will pass.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Cottonoid, yes, the Trust Bank - I made a big withdrawal last night. Won't be doing that again hopefully.

'Boats thats it exactly. The promise we make to our parrots that we will care for them, do what's in their best interests , do our very best for them when we take them on, and I feel like i let him down. I began it this very morning when I opened his cage, making sure he got the choice nuts and foods he likes. SO far this evening we had a nice 40 minute scratching session, and I am going to tough it out and have a rough-housing play time with him (which as you know with Amazons can get WAY out of hand quickly). I'm thinking he has started to forgive me.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I hope you make it up to Salty soon.
I had a migraine and went to sleep early. Woke up after birds were sleeping. They did not get as much time out and I hope they are not upset.

Things happen and you just have to apologize and start over as best you can.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
A lot of praise, treats and scratches and all is right with the world. I probably internalized this way more than I should have, but I love this little guy so much!

Most Reactions

Latest posts