FINALLY posting my art (with my favorite model)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thanks everyone! I'm glad people like the look. Wasn't sure if no one drew quite like this because it was unique to me or just so ugly to everyone else no one would want to lol ;). Some 'art' I see online that has sold for millions of dollars (not that I expect mine to), well I just simply can't see the appeal and mine is nothing like what 'experts' say 'good' art is.

Tami- I don't have one yet, but plan to make one soon that would effectively just be a big version of my signature to plant over the top with whatever legalese wording would be required.

Gail- I feel that way about your style too! Very distinct, which is good. Art shouldn't be homogenized. It's great to have such a community of artists on here and so many unique ways of creating art among them!

Stephen- I'm sure he'll sue:rolleyes:- seeking 1 million in 'damages', er, I mean, one million sandwhiches for using his likeness without permission:D:green: Trade marking my signature seems like a good idea. I will have to investigate how precisely one goes about that.

Scott- I did show Kiwi, but as with most things on the computer, he couldn't care less. Kiwi has never shown much interest over images or even videos on screens. I think in some capacity, he understands what he sees isn't real or at least is contained in that area so he isn't concerned (or even remotely interested most of the time).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The legal part is fairly simple. Trade Marked is you simply add the letters or words (TM or Trade Marked) under your Logo or Signature. Dates are a good tool to include. The legal upgrade is Copy Rights. They require much more paperwork and have a limited life over their controlling the items using them. They do not fit well with Art. The time limits are why Corporations like Coke does not Copy Right their product. They TM, and take great care to keep safe their formulas.

Too much legal stuff for this time in the morning.
Love the Art!!!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
and for the love of (something holy etc.) do not put it on facebook -> because of their legal tricks: once it is on their servers it is their property for ever and ever, to use/ despose of as they see fit.
(just read their ever changing fine print)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I don't do social media and have always been very careful not to divulge too much identifiable information online but I know I'm going to be forced into social media in a business capacity if I want to make money. This realization has left me in a terrible mental state these past few weeks, knowing I'm going to not just have to sell my work but sell myself. I'm an physically unattractive anxiety ridden disaster who struggles to even look presentable, much less appealing enough to attract an audience (beyond maybe to point and laugh). And I really doubt that a few new outfits, makeup and a professional headshot is going to fix that.

I've been watching all these videos with these pretty, put together women with perfect faces and hair talking about 'personal branding' and "authenticity" as though everyone is as lucky as they've been with some amazing inspiring story to share. Some peoples "story" should be firmly left in the past where it belongs and never see the light of day again. What about us? How do I spin my life into something shiny and eye catching? I feel like I'm reliving school all over again and I unfortunately do remember what happened when I attempted to fit in there. The thought of putting myself out there again as an adult? It's made my anxiety worse than it's been my entire adult life. I've cried until I threw up a few times trying to plan this out and strategize how to go about it. I still don't know what I'm going to do. Going around to some local galleries and doing some artist meet up things I was mentally prepared for, but this whole social media thing makes me genuinely afraid the same people who destroyed me may find me on social media and destroy this for me too.

All I want is for the focus to be on the art, but what I've been learning is that no matter how good or unique, the art market is so saturated, that to stand out and make any helpful amount of money, you also have to create a personal connection with potential buyers via this whole concept of personal branding. I just don't know how to brand myself anything anyone wants with any level of 'authenticity' to it. It feels so unfair. I have a product, a product I know people will want to buy and am actually proud to have created, yet I have this giant wall blocking my path I don't know how to climb over or go around. It sucks. I'm not sure whether to abandon ship before I have a stroke or to push forward and prepare to disappear quickly if unsavory elements of my past pop up.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The made for TV people are far from real. Out in the real World, there is millions of people who everyday bring together amazing things that make other peoples lives better and happier. They are little different from you in that they are have different natural hair color, eye color, taller /shorter, and all the other natural variations that exist.

Trash the pretty people concern, after all age strikes all. No big surprise, I was in the nerd click and didn't much care about the pretty people clicks. Years later, I was cutting the grass as a woman I had not seen since high-school walked by. She stated that she knew me and stated her name. With the name connected to her face, I recalled her. She was in the Cheerleader click, married one of the Football stars and had three kids. He didn't make it past college football and their life together ended 10 years later.

It was interesting as her face changed as she asked if I lived in the home I was cutting the grass at. When I stated yes, I became a person of interest until I stated that my dear wife and I have owned it for years.

High School clicks and TV pretty people have never had to work everyday and make things happen by doing the hard work that became truly wonderful things that other people wanted. You already have a face for your Art and the last I heard, he is happy to let you use his likeness!

After all, Amazons Rule!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
This was created for one of our members in exchange for some advice/help:) I've been busy doing drawings of zoo animals I took photos of too, though I will wait to show those ones until my website is up.

attachment.php

For some reason uploading directly to the forum makes the colors less vivid:(

Last edited:

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
That looks amazing... if you want to try to spice up the watermark Theres a company called photologo I’m a photographer so it really helps make it more artistic rather than a beautiful picture and oh look at that watermark lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This was created for one of our members in exchange for some advice/help:) I've been busy doing drawings of zoo animals I took photos of too, though I will wait to show those ones until my website is up.

attachment.php

For some reason uploading directly to the forum makes the colors less vivid:(

i LOOOOVEEE it!I even showed it to my husband and he was SO impressed with it. So fun and colorful and it's got crazy cool vibes. Also it might currently be the background to my phone :D:D

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Crikey Kiwibird don’t forget there’s maybe a dozen people on the whole planet who legitimately look like the “made for TV” type in the flesh! The rest is all makeup, stylists, good lighting, Spanx, photoshop, starvation diets, always at the gym, EVERY trick in the book and lots more! And oh the crippling anxiety if they get a wrinkle on that perfect face or put on an extra pound or two, OMG ! Kids tie themselves in knots these days trying to look like that perfect social media example and it’s unattainable. I’m quite certain you’re being way too hard on yourself but I do understand the anxiety side, I’m awake at 3am local time because I’m anxious about just having to leave the house and go to work today!

Your good heart and fabulous artwork speaks to who you really are and what you stand for and I wish you every success with it! Bonne chance!

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
It's good to hear my art is (thus far) getting a positive response! I am so pleased with how it's been turning out!

My anxiety and social ineptitude on the other hand... Well at least I now have some outfits and a haircut and some makeup that aligns with current social standards for a woman my age/goals I'm looking to reach. I think having something of a 'uniform' will be helpful so I don't have to spend much time thinking about what to wear or how to look on par with everyone else. Still not sure how well I'll be able to hold myself together the first time I have to walk into a group of complete strangers to introduce myself. It's an absolutely terrifying thought:52: but at some point it has to be done.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I took a big leap and bought my domain name (no website up yet) and signed up for linkedin, instagram and pinterest last night. All 3 of these platforms I have been studying strategies for to maximize their effectiveness for what I'm trying to do on them. I plan to work more on really setting them up over the weekend:) If the mods would be ok with it, I'd love (once its up) to post a link to my website or these social media sites so anyone interested can follow my work (I have quite a few pieces to post now) and I can follow them (which is how I gather this whole thing works;)).

Thanks again everyone on here SO much for your continued support and help!

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
When you create art like that ...you deserve it!

It really blows my socks of!

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I think both of your pictures are closer to fauvism then pop art. Maybe in between.Fauvism is my favorite art style and what I have on my walls. My house is mostly neutral and earth tones so I like the contrast and pop of color from the bold paintings. If you look up fauvism animal paintings, your parrot would fit right in.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
When you create art like that ...you deserve it!

It really blows my socks of!

Thanks! Always nice to hear this kind of response about my art:D

I think both of your pictures are closer to fauvism then pop art. Maybe in between.Fauvism is my favorite art style and what I have on my walls. My house is mostly neutral and earth tones so I like the contrast and pop of color from the bold paintings. If you look up fauvism animal paintings, your parrot would fit right in.

THANK YOU! As I've said, I've never had any formal art education. I have heard of Matisse, but I didn't necessarily equate my art style with his. I really think you've hit the nail on the head regarding the style though. I found a few 'contemporary fauvist' artists and you're completely right- my animals fit right in (though still slightly different than anything else I've seen). I so appreciate the help, as I know it's important to add style of art to your hashtag things so people interested in that style can find you and also to be able to find other artists doing similar work.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Yes, I think if you wanted to put your artwork in a category it would definitely fall under contemporary fauvism. With fauvism the artist doesn't use color to create a realistic picture, they use it to create a feeling. Which you have done. Although not the style for everyone, I love that orange background and have a painting on my wall with similar colors. It makes me feel happy when I look at it.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Yes, I think if you wanted to put your artwork in a category it would definitely fall under contemporary fauvism. With fauvism the artist doesn't use color to create a realistic picture, they use it to create a feeling. Which you have done. Although not the style for everyone, I love that orange background and have a painting on my wall with similar colors. It makes me feel happy when I look at it.

I also think out of everything I've found so far, that does fit the description best:) Do you have a background in art or just a fan of it or an artist yourself, perhaps?

I never really developed the ability to draw particularly realistic art for some reason, though I've always wanted that ability. I kind of just let my style develop organically and 'realistic' isn't the way it went. Not everyone will like my style, but I also know it's pretty unique so the people that do like it will hopefully be interested in buying it because it doesn't look like anything else out there (that I can find, at least);) Also, as I muddle my way through the 30 animal drawings on my list to start my art business with, I have done some in more muted colors too. In fact, I'm currently working on a penguin in calm shades of primarily blues, greens and browns. Still in the same style but less 'intense' since I do realize I'm creating art for other people, not just for myself with this particular group of images and I need to appeal to wider range of tastes and decor:)

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I've always liked art and love going to art museums and galleries, although my husband finds it as boring as I find his golfing. And while I'm no Picasso, I do have a bit of talent for it. I like drawing and painting when I have the time, I find it relaxing. I've always been good at blind contour drawing where you look at the subject and draw without looking at the paper. Artist's use it as an exercise because it forces you to draw what you actually see and not what you think you see. Although if you never tried it before, you might look down at your paper and think to yourself "um, I don't think I saw that". Or you might create a masterpiece lol.

Last edited:

joyknights

Oct 4, 2018
Vancouver
Parrots
Lovebirds
I am also into art but I am not as good you are. This is my One Piece, anime sketch. I know there's so much to improve. It is so nice to see a lot of great artist from this community. :)

Attachments

• one piece.jpg
    one piece.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 91

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Omg April! I love your unique style, and you’re really GOOD at it :D! Best wishes for the business!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Haven't posted any new art on here in a while. This is my first bird in a while, though it's definitely NOT a parrot! Really enjoyed drawing one of the beautiful California condors I saw at the Oregon zoo:
2bd358_3e49e6cc69e5481c8ea6523b37633f5b~mv2_d_1500_1500_s_2.jpg

Anyone interested in seeing the other non-avian animals I've drawn recently, my Instagram name thing is aprilcarrilloart and my website is aprilcarrilloart.com

Most Reactions