May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So as I was browsing my local pet store last weekend, I came across this little guy sitting at the bottom of the fantail tank. Turns out he's extremely inbred and severely disabled, and the pet shop was going to euthanize him if no one bought him and he didn't improve. So, I took him in.

In terms of infection/illness, he's EXTREMELY healthy. I mean, I have never had a fish as healthy as him in that way, not even my well-bred goldfish have been so healthy. He is super disabled, though. He has a fused tail, severe photosenstitvity (which I've never seen in fish), a curved fin, such a small inner mouth that I have to feed him baby betta pellets, a jaw that won't close all the way, and a large tumor on his chin that weights him down when he's not swimming.

Now, he's doing very well! His tumor seems to be shrinking, and he even spent some time floating in a breeder box in my main goldfish tank (40 gallons), so he doesn't get depressed. And man, I love this little guy! He gives me so much hope, and is thriving in his new home! I hope he lives for many years to come.

CB9732F3-B0B4-49A4-9ADC-15F989309330.jpeg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So as I was browsing my local pet store last weekend, I came across this little guy sitting at the bottom of the fantail tank. Turns out he's extremely inbred and severely disabled, and the pet shop was going to euthanize him if no one bought him and he didn't improve. So, I took him in.

In terms of infection/illness, he's EXTREMELY healthy. I mean, I have never had a fish as healthy as him in that way, not even my well-bred goldfish have been so healthy. He is super disabled, though. He has a fused tail, severe photosenstitvity (which I've never seen in fish), a curved fin, such a small inner mouth that I have to feed him baby betta pellets, a jaw that won't close all the way, and a large tumor on his chin that weights him down when he's not swimming.

Now, he's doing very well! His tumor seems to be shrinking, and he even spent some time floating in a breeder box in my main goldfish tank (40 gallons), so he doesn't get depressed. And man, I love this little guy! He gives me so much hope, and is thriving in his new home! I hope he lives for many years to come.

View attachment 37275
I feel like fish seem to get really neglected because their 'just fish' but I know they have really pronounced personalities if you just give them a chance. My betta won't eat unless I tong feed him! He gets so excited when he sees me opening the food! So I know fish have more to them even if they can't vocalize . Thank you for saving this lil goldfish :giggle:

OP
๐•พ๐–™๐–”๐–—๐–’๐–ž๐•ป๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I feel like fish seem to get really neglected because their 'just fish' but I know they have really pronounced personalities if you just give them a chance. My betta won't eat unless I tong feed him! He gets so excited when he sees me opening the food! So I know fish have more to them even if they can't vocalize . Thank you for saving this lil goldfish :giggle:
Aww, thank you!

PS, I want to clarify that he was only in that cup for an easier pic, he went right back to his tank after!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Thank for saving the goldfish when i was small i had a goldfish who had a big thing on his head but sadly the next day he passed away

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am wondering if the โ€˜tumorโ€™ on his chin is actually an abscess or something similar. One way to differentiate between a tumors and an abscess or boil is by how quickly it develops and how quickly it goes away. Tumors take a long time to develop. If a mass comes up quickly (which we donโ€™t know) but also goes away quickly maybe itโ€™s an abscess or boil or similar.

How do you tell that the fish has photosensitivity?

It is very kind of you to take care of this fish. I have been laughed at for rescuing creatures, too. The local cvs was not watering its orchids. The manager thought they didnโ€™t need to be watered ever so they would slowly die after she got them in. I bought several orchids after Christmas by arguing that I should get them at half price because otherwise they would be thrown out any day. I still have too many moth orchids at home.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I am wondering if the โ€˜tumorโ€™ on his chin is actually an abscess or something similar. One way to differentiate between a tumors and an abscess or boil is by how quickly it develops and how quickly it goes away. Tumors take a long time to develop. If a mass comes up quickly (which we donโ€™t know) but also goes away quickly maybe itโ€™s an abscess or boil or similar.

How do you tell that the fish has photosensitivity?

It is very kind of you to take care of this fish. I have been laughed at for rescuing creatures, too. The local cvs was not watering its orchids. The manager thought they didnโ€™t need to be watered ever so they would slowly die after she got them in. I bought several orchids after Christmas by arguing that I should get them at half price because otherwise they would be thrown out any day. I still have too many moth orchids at home.
I do think it's an abscess from being picked on by the other fish in his tank due to his disability. I can tell he has abnormal photosensitivity, because when there are normal fish tank lights on him, he starts hyperventilating and freezing up, but if I move the light away so he's in a darker area he immediately stops hyperventilating and starts swimming around normally. I have never seen or read about any other goldfish displaying this behavior.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
He's chilling, swimming around! He had some time in the breeder box in my main goldfish tank today (I don't actually breed, the box is just for him). He did a great job, and was so happy! I hope this can continue, and he can eventually move in with the others.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I do think it's an abscess from being picked on by the other fish in his tank due to his disability. I can tell he has abnormal photosensitivity, because when there are normal fish tank lights on him, he starts hyperventilating and freezing up, but if I move the light away so he's in a darker area he immediately stops hyperventilating and starts swimming around normally. I have never seen or read about any other goldfish displaying this behavior.
โ€ฆor, he is keyed up from being picked on and therefore avoids bright light more than the other fish because of the elevated stress hormones. This is different than photosensitivity, though I see what you are saying.

Photosensitivity would suggest that he is becoming ill, losing scales, having skin damage with brighter lights.

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
โ€ฆor, he is keyed up from being picked on and therefore avoids bright light more than the other fish because of the stress hormones. This is different than photosensitivity, though I see what you are saying.

Photosensitivity would suggest that he is becoming Iโ€™ll, losing scales, having skin damage with brighter lights.
I don't know what it is, but like you said, I think it's because he was picked on...
He has a bunch of missing scales from being picked on, but he seems to be not very stressed and LOVES other goldfish.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Youโ€™re saying he avoids bright light. Thatโ€™s different than photosensitivity.

Iโ€™m not wanting to pick on you, but wanting to help you be clear if you want to tease apart whatโ€™s happening with your animals.

Do you know what โ€œethologyโ€ is? Itโ€™s the study of behavior, either animal or human. Itโ€™s interesting how the study of behavior intersects with animal health, isnโ€™t it?

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Youโ€™re saying he avoids bright light. Thatโ€™s different than photosensitivity.

Iโ€™m not wanting to pick on you, but wanting to help you be clear if you want to tease apart whatโ€™s happening with your animals.

Do you know what โ€œethologyโ€ is? Itโ€™s the study of behavior, either animal or human. Itโ€™s interesting how the study of behavior intersects with animal health, isnโ€™t it?
Yeah. I guess photosensitivity was just the first word I thought of to describe that behavior. But yes, you're right, he just avoids bright light.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thatโ€™s fine. And now weโ€™ve clarified whatโ€™s happening to him.

There are fish antibiotics, but if you treated Finn with those then I have heard (and it sounds reasonable) that he may then have a fungal overgrowth.

When my golden newt was very very old, he got infections in his feet. I medicated his water, but that only helped for a little while. It resolved the foot infections but he still died soon. He was nine years old and at the end of his lifespan. (Not saying that Finn is necessarily old or at the end of life!)

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thatโ€™s fine. And now weโ€™ve clarified whatโ€™s happening to him.

There are fish antibiotics, but if you treated Finn with those then I have heard (and it sounds reasonable) that he may then have a fungal overgrowth.

When my golden newt was very very old, he got infections in his feet. I medicated his water, but that only helped for a little while. It resolved the foot infections but he still died soon. He was nine years old and at the end of his lifespan. (Not saying that Finn is necessarily old or at the end of life!)
Finn is actually 3 months old! He is being treated with antibiotics and salt, so hopefully that'll help.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It should. Poor fishy. Best thing with an injured fish is to separate him out dk the other fish donโ€™t beat him up. And itโ€™s not that they are โ€˜meanโ€™, thatโ€™s just what happens in a big group of fish in an small container or aquarium.

(Thinking about birds, many of the birds Iโ€™ve rescued wouldnโ€™t have survived in the wild. They wouldโ€™ve been caught and eaten. (Like Lucy who couldnโ€™t gly and had a bad leg, or Magoo who was blind and plucked.) But a pet bird doesnโ€™t have to win a wrestling match in order to survive.)

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
It should. Poor fishy. Best thing with an injured fish is to separate him out dk the other fish donโ€™t beat him up. And itโ€™s not that they are โ€˜meanโ€™, thatโ€™s just what happens in a big group of fish in an small container or aquarium.

(Thinking about birds, many of the birds Iโ€™ve rescued wouldnโ€™t have survived in the wild. They wouldโ€™ve been caught and eaten. (Like Lucy who couldnโ€™t gly and had a bad leg, or Magoo who was blind and plucked.) But a pet bird doesnโ€™t have to win a wrestling match in order to survive.)
He is in a separate tank...

ฯฮนgฯฮนzฯ…

Oct 25, 2021
Indiana
Parrots
โ‹†โœง ๐’ซ๐“Š๐“‚๐“…๐“€๐’พ๐“ƒ ~ ๐น๐‘’๐“‚๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝโ™ก๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘”

๐’ซ๐‘’๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“Š๐“‰ ~ ๐‘€๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝ๐Ÿฌ๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘” โœงโ‹†

View attachment 37275this is so wholesome, keep us updated in this thread!!!
keep us updated please <3 this is so wholesome

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Heโ€™s still alive and thriving! The cutie is getting more active by the day, and hopefully he can go with the others soon!!! He is being syringe fed baby fish pellets still, and he is having a methelyne blue and salt bath every day for his lump.

ฯฮนgฯฮนzฯ…

Oct 25, 2021
Indiana
Parrots
โ‹†โœง ๐’ซ๐“Š๐“‚๐“…๐“€๐’พ๐“ƒ ~ ๐น๐‘’๐“‚๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝโ™ก๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘”

๐’ซ๐‘’๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“Š๐“‰ ~ ๐‘€๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝ๐Ÿฌ๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘” โœงโ‹†

Most Reactions