First trip

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
To those living in really big countries this would constitute a shopping trip perhaps, but for us in the UK 2 hours - 95 miles across country constitutes an adventure especially for Syd.

In his smaller holiday/sleep cage strapped into the front seat we headed off on a family visit. The kids were longing to meet him with lots of warnings on finger safety etc.

He spent almost all the journey perched as high in his cage as possible which allowed him to see the road ahead. On arrival he settled in almost immediately and accepted food from everyone. He even flew to me across the room and cuddled as usual.

On the journey home late in the evening he seemed ready to repeat his travel with a view but after a few minutes I covered him with my jacket and after a few protests silence reigned. A quick transfer into the house at about 11pm and re-covered he hardly woke and came to at 8am.

Sigh of relief - another small success!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
sounds like he had a fun adventure!

I really don't think those across the pond understand just how small our little country is

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
You mean that giant pond they call the Atlantic Ocean? Yeah, I guess compared to that little pond your country is kind of small. lol.

I think for a lot of us in the US, it takes longer to travel from one end of our respective states to the other end than it takes you UKers to travel across your entire country.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
well I'm probably the most Southern UK person on here and if I left no I could be up to scotland by the end of the day!

It's pretty nuts how small our country is

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It's good to travel and show your parrot the countryside, isn't it? Our only issue is that once it gets dark out, Salty is freaked out by the lights whizzing past the car, so he goes back into his Pac-o-Bird and covered with just a bit open so he can see me. But when its daytime, he loves to sit on my shoulder and observe the world.

LOL, 2 hours? It takes me that long to go to work every day.

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
It's good to travel and show your parrot the countryside, isn't it? Our only issue is that once it gets dark out, Salty is freaked out by the lights whizzing past the car, so he goes back into his Pac-o-Bird and covered with just a bit open so he can see me. But when its daytime, he loves to sit on my shoulder and observe the world.

LOL, 2 hours? It takes me that long to go to work every day.

Yes 2 hours! But it feels like 7 by the time we negotiate along narrow roads that just about take 2 cars if none of the drivers are greedy! My journey takes me across country for over an hour at 40mph at the most, and then the roads improve but are still just 2 lanes with artic. trucks and enough traffic for New York! Then it's a further stretch on really narrow roads to my family's house which is 300 years old! It's quite a journey believe me.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Relative size of the UK and Ireland compared with California. Keep in mind huge portions of California are little used deserts and mountains!

87443472b7a5d1115bcd78375e3e724c--maps-history-interesting-history.jpg

Many confuse the UK vs Great Britain vs England. Is this simplistic explanation reasonably accurate?
England-vs-GB-Vs-UK.gif

Greater detail:
England+vs+UK+etc.jpg

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
That map is how I've always thought of it as well. Only thing is when someone says 'England' to me, I assume they mean 'England' alone (not Scotland or Wales, in which case that would be Great Britain.)

Interestingly enough, the UK has nearly the same amount of people as California and Texas combined. UK-65m, California-39m, Texas-27m which makes the UK sound a lot more urban than it probably is. Not sure.

Most Reactions