Funny stories

weimdog2

Dec 6, 2012
West Des Moines, Iowa USA
Parrots
Penny, a Timneh African Grey who is one at Christmas time.
Whenever I would take my TAG, Penny, out of her cage as she was just starting to vocalize, I would say, "Come here" and when she came out I would say, "Mommy loves you!" Well, she has put those two things together and the minute I come home she starts hollering, "Mommy, come here!" If I don't come get her right away, she puts attitude into it too. Just yesterday I was folding laundry and she said, "What cha doing?" I told her folding clothes to which she replied, "Good girl." I just busted out laughing. She is one entertaining little girl!

KevinT

Oct 11, 2012
You know someone in your household travels a lot when your grey starts making the sound of a suitcase zipper--days after the traveler left on her most recent business trip.

alikab218

Jan 13, 2013
Re: CAG/TAG Funny stories

There should definitely be a "spot" for writing funny stories and amazing things our birds do...because they are so fascinating. The last three nights ...I have noticed my baby Grey (4 months) growling late at night when the room is dark. Last night...I got up to figure out what she was doing. She was frozen...looking straight up at the ceiling and growling! Then I noticed that as cars drove by on the street...the headlights came shining through the trees outside...and moved across the ceiling flashing shadows. I realised that to her...it must seem like a huge ferocious predator is in the room! Maybe we DO need to cover her cage! My other birds never reacted to those shadows!

alikab218

Jan 13, 2013
That's a great story! My CAG (who died recently) would say "Mommy...Where are you?" What is interesting...is that I had previously said "Alika...where are you?" She obviously understood that concept of looking for someone...and adapted the question to use on me! That's when they really show their intelligence..when the use language appropriately..and adapt what they know to use in another way. Alika and I always did "bird kisses" when I was coming or going. She reached a point where she would just say "I want a bird kiss!" or "Kiss the bird!" They are so awesome.

alikab218

Jan 13, 2013
I love reading these stories...it reminds of how capable they are...and gives me ideas...things we can work on. They are like little children...it is fascinating to see how their minds work.

sammybird

Nov 17, 2012
Fond du Lac, WI
Parrots
Sammy, 8 year-old cockatiel.
Cricket, 1 year-old parakeet.
This happened to me last night...
I was walking in to our living room where all our birds are and i noticed that Sammy (my 'tiel) was not in his cage! i figured that he had flown off his cage, (he is like birdie houdini) and i yelled out our families warning cry to watch thier step. :) "Bird on the floor!" but when i looked at his cage again and i saw a large bump and then Sammy popped out from under the paper and said "Peekaboo i see you!" he cracks me up.

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
1 African Grey "JJ" and 1 M2 "Lola" and my 2 yorkies...while not feathered they are still part of my flock!
I have a rescued 20 year old CAG~ and I have only had her for a few months now. I always find it funny when JJ talks- she actually has different tones to her voice. Sometimes she sounds like my fiance, sometimes she sounds like me and sometimes she sounds like the previous owner. But what is funny is she uses phrases said by each person. I only recently found this out when she said "JOJO wants her crackers........NOW" (not any words I have used with her) We call her JJ and her previous owner called her JOJO.... so she knows her name and with each owner. I find that amazing how intelligent she is.

freedwithwings204

Sep 2, 2012
United States
Parrots
1 year old Cinnamon Turquoise Indian Ringneck and a 10 year old TAG. (RIP Sydney, my silly 60 year old TAG, we miss you dearly)
I've got two short stories about our late rescue TAG, Sydney, who was about 55-60 when we got him.

1. When we brought him home we had no idea he could talk, and neither did anyone at the rescue. The day we brought him home we had JUST put him in his cage when he turns around, looks at my fiancee, and says to him, "You're an a$$hole!" ( I tired to be polite about his cursing by replacing some of the letters.) My first thought was, "This is a great way to start our relationship."

2. I had a friend from the rescue come down to help me trim Sydney's nails one friday. We got him wrapped up in the towel (and he always loved the towel for some odd reason.) While I was trimming his nails Sydney, being himself, found the thinest spot in towel, and chomped my friend a good one on the thumb, cackling afterwards.

I have so many more of Sydney. :)

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
My boy is such a goof.

He won't bath willingly unless it is in his water bowl, which is too small for him to even get his head sufficiently wet. Usually it's his sister I see bathing, but Teo decided to get in on the fun. Weird thing was, every time he approached the water bowl he would stick his right foot in the water until he stood on the bottom. He had this weird expression like he was anticipating something exciting to happen. After holding the foot there for about three solid seconds he would remove it, splash, run to the top of the cage to flap and screech, and then run down and repeat the process. This 'bath' went on for 20 minutes with him keeping the foot routine every time!

mangosmith

Aug 23, 2013
illinois
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I just adopted my first cag a few weeks ago. She had the best owner before me that had her since birth. She is absolutly adorable and so sweet. But I find it so fascinating just to hear her talk. She mostly talks about what she wants its always I want chicken, I want cherries, I want watermelon its to funny. But yesterday my two older kids were talking in the kitchen and she shouts out to them " settle down" I about fell out of my chair. I guess I have to watch what I say now she's way to smart for her own good. Lol

Skybird

May 2, 2015
NE Ohio
Parrots
Skylar -- CAG 10 yrs old
Reggie -- Amazon Blue Front 15 yrs old
This is my first comment in the AG thread. My husband and I are owned by a 10 year old CAG, whom we adopted about 4 yrs ago from my friend who no longer could keep her. The night we brought her home we were given all these instructions of "she will let you know when she wants to go to bed" etc. So around 7:30 that night Skylar said to us "time for bed", so I went over, gave her a gold fish cracker said goodnight to her and while I was covering her up, she said to me and my husband "will I see you tomorrow"......my husband and I just looked at each other and I said to Skylar..."yes we will see you tomorrow". To this day she has never said it again. That was amazing to us, she was our first bird and never had experience with birds and especially with a CAG.....it actually brought tears to our eyes when she said that.
Have so many cute stories of her. Now we have a amazon blue front and he will scream loudly and Skylar with say "shhh shhh" to him!
Jody, Skylar and Reggie :green::grey:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I have two stories about Smokey I thought were cute,so here they are..

Smokey didn't like hands,she'd only step up when there were no other options.
One day, I got her on my hand and went into the kitchen to clean up. I put her on the kitchen table with an empty medicine bottle for her to play with,while I did dishes,etc.
she was having a great time,rolling the bottle around and mumbling to it.
When I was finished with my chores,it was time to get Smokes on my hand to go back into the living room. Of course,she just refused to step up :mad:
I got her cornered by the toaster oven that was sitting on the table..she stopped,turned around,and looked me right in the eyes,and said "WHAT THE H*** ARE YOU DOING???" I almost fell on the floor! I NEVER said that to her,I had no idea where she got it from,and she never said it again!
Smart? Knows how to use the proper words/phrases at the proper time??
You tell me :11:

Here is another one..
When my mom was alive,and she had a cat..PITA was his name < you can guess what it stood for :D> and Mom would be sitting in her recliner,having lunch or whatever and watching tv,and PITA would come by and bug her,wanting food or attention,and mom would say "Damn cat!..GO"!!

One day Smokes was on her roof top <her house sat on the living room floor,by moms' recliner> and Pita came in the room. He wandered around Smokeys house,with his tail sticking straight up in the air,and walked behind Smokes house to the front,as Smokey was leaning off her roof. Well the cat got a little too close with his tail,and Smokey leaned out and grabbed a BIG piece of it! The poor cat ran out of the room so fast as Smokey was yelling to him " Damn cat!!...GO!!" lmbo..I almost died! and so did MOM lol.

Jim

R.I.P. MOM and Smokey :eek:

camclark

Apr 3, 2016
One of my birds one morning after i was getting out of the shower and rummaging through the laundry thor asks "what are you doing" i quickly reply without thought "im looking for my underwear" then thor just excitedly goes "ohhhh!"

Nessa

Jul 20, 2016
Ireland
Parrots
None, at the moment, but in the past we had a peach faced lovebird called Baby, and we currently have 4 chickens
Not my bird, but a friend's:

They couldn't work out why their dog was getting . They had him on a low diet and weren't giving any treats, but he still seemed to be putting on weight. The other day, their grey was out, and he had flown into the kitchen while no one was in there. They follow him. Turns out, he's been throwing any food he finds on the counter or table down to the dog!

Lindy1001

Apr 22, 2016
Media
Burlington NC
Parrots
African Grey, Harley
Harley (our CAG ) spent much time in his previous owners' office.. Harley will sound a phone, then say Hello, then mumble mumble, then say 91344 mumble mumble, OK, goodbye. One day I was startled to hear during the mumble part, clear as day, "Well, it's not illegal!" ;-)

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Here is another Smokey story.. A few years ago I had a friend as a roomie..she has a DYH 'zon,Shainna who also lived with us.

One night Mariann was in her bedroom with her door closed,and I had Amy and Shainna out in the kitchen. I let Smokes out of her house,but she just climbed to her roof top and played with her toys,so I went back in the kitchen.

Now for whatever reason,when Smokes would walk down the hall,she'd drag her beaky along the top of the baseboard ( maybe she didn't like the way I cleaned them lol).
As she got to Mariann's room,she stopped,and banged on her door with her beak,saying "Hellooo?? Helloooo???" ( Smokes and Mariann were good friends) Mariann opened the door,expecting to see me there,and when I wasn't,she looked down only to see Smokey looking up at her lol..We had a good laugh that night :D

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
LOVE THOSE!

Here's one that comes to my mind...

For the last year or two, the Rb greets most FEMALE visitors with his version of J-Lo's "Booty" song... 'It's a big, biggggggggg booty, etc.' He has yet to serenade a male thusly!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
This is my first comment in the AG thread. My husband and I are owned by a 10 year old CAG, whom we adopted about 4 yrs ago from my friend who no longer could keep her. The night we brought her home we were given all these instructions of "she will let you know when she wants to go to bed" etc. So around 7:30 that night Skylar said to us "time for bed", so I went over, gave her a gold fish cracker said goodnight to her and while I was covering her up, she said to me and my husband "will I see you tomorrow"......my husband and I just looked at each other and I said to Skylar..."yes we will see you tomorrow". To this day she has never said it again. That was amazing to us, she was our first bird and never had experience with birds and especially with a CAG.....it actually brought tears to our eyes when she said that.
Have so many cute stories of her. Now we have a amazon blue front and he will scream loudly and Skylar with say "shhh shhh" to him!
Jody, Skylar and Reggie :green::grey:

I Love this story.
I hope some day to have stories like this of Levi. :heart:

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Our Grey "Reno" has a sense of humor, for sure. When he wants a cookie (Arrowroots are his fave), he starts asking for one. Nicely, at least at first. If his requests go unanswered, he'll get louder & more insistent. If that doesn't work, he says "I want a cookie NOW, Mommy, you old buzzard!!". He knows he won't likely get a cookie after that, and he's resigned himself to not getting one, so he's willing to express his displeasure!

On a more poignant note, a few weeks ago a friend mentioned our lost dog "Echo" (posted in the "bereavement" section here - long lost, and presumed deceased). Reno looked pensive for a minute or two, and said "Where's Echo? I can't find her. Where is she?"

Then, he got very, very quiet, for quite a long time.

We all had a long cry, and I believe Reno did too, in his own way. He loved Echo, and now we know he truly misses her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts