GCC has to go to the vet, but it’s cold outside

Aug 6, 2020
Parrots
Tepui the Green-cheek conure
Hello!

My GCC has to go tot the vet, but it’s like -20 degrees Celsius outside and there’s snow. Do I have to cover his travel cage in blankets or something? Because I’ve heard it’s really dangerous for them to get out when it’s under 18 degrees, so -20 is quite the difference.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
That is brutal cold, wouldn't want to subject a GCC to that for more than a very brief period. Assume you can pre-heat the vehicle and have exposure for no more than a minute or so during transit? I'd imagine covering with blankets would be best, but admittedly have no experience with such weather.

Hopefully members with experience will post advice!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Like my good friend Scott said, a minute or less exposure should not be dangerous. I would thoroughly warm up the car, heater blasting for a while, and have the travel cage wrapped in a blanket until you get inside the car. Same thing when you leave the vet. Car warmed up well, cage wrapped in a blanket. Going from the car to the vet and from the car to home, again rewrap the cage, and have as little time actually outside. He should be OK.

Damn, minus 20 C, (-4 deg F) where the heck do you live and who would want to live there! My brother lives about 80 miles northwest of Albany NY, the one and only time I visited in the winter, it was -28 deg F ( -33 C) and cold enough to pop the freeze out plugs on my van. Never Again!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Since most all Vets in North America are still under some level of Covid (Monster Virus) visit protocols, you should call so you are aware of what their receiving method /requirements they have in place. At present, we drive-up to the front door and bring our DYH Amazon in his travel cage to the front desk, check him in and leave. Since it is also cold here, I sit in the SUV with the engine running and heat on. Once they are done, they call on the mobile phone and I than drive to the front door and go in and pay for the visit and bring HRH back out to the SUV and we are off.

As stated above, with your current temperature, pre-warming your auto is near mandator to drive heat into the engine, transmission and the interior prior to driving.

The distance between your home and your auto defines to what level you provide covering and what type of covering /supplemental heat. Two to three meters, a light covering. 10+ meters and you will want to go to thicker covering and maybe a hot water bottle. Also, if you're faced with a light breeze or a roaring wind also has an effect on 'wind chill' and the need to increase the covering.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
when you get back from vet offer some warm oatmeal or scrambled egg. Or some apple. Sometimes they need a little pick me up from the stress.
O hope everything went well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts