GCC nail changed colors, help?

bmb126

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
1 Green Cheek Conure
about an hour ago i noticed one of my conures nails looks brown. he is 3 years old (4 in march). never had nails trimmed. what could this mean, does he need to see the vet asap? he is being his normal self, and ive never had any concerns about him previously

UPDATE: just saw in an older photo i have of him the same nail is a bit darker than the rest, but i find it strange that i apparently never realized until now.. also, still looks a bit darker to me now than in the photo but dont know if im just being crazy now lol šŸ˜Ÿ

Attachments

• 7670A535-9404-4812-8012-8DFD50C99F2C.jpeg
    7670A535-9404-4812-8012-8DFD50C99F2C.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 102
  • D8702CDA-1DDD-4B05-A398-7279DBFA1358.jpeg
    D8702CDA-1DDD-4B05-A398-7279DBFA1358.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
about an hour ago i noticed one of my conures nails looks brown. he is 3 years old (4 in march). never had nails trimmed. what could this mean, does he need to see the vet asap?

Edit: he is being his normal self, and ive never had any concerns about him previously
I think thatā€™s fine. Some of my birds nails are darker than others. I donā€™t know why, but that toenail looks normal to me.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
about an hour ago i noticed one of my conures nails looks brown. he is 3 years old (4 in march). never had nails trimmed. what could this mean, does he need to see the vet asap?

Edit: he is being his normal self, and ive never had any concerns about him previously
Its normal and just curious..
Why not trim them?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Its normal and just curious..
Why not trim them?
Bird toenails are supposed to curve 90 degrees, one fourth of the way around a circle. You can trim nails with animal or bird claw scissors or (this small bird) with toenail clippers. I clean clippers first with rubbing alcohol.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Bird toenails are supposed to curve 90 degrees, one fourth of the way around a circle. You can trim nails with animal or bird claw scissors or (this small bird) with toenail clippers. I clean clippers first with rubbing alcohol.
Yeah i know-
Im asking on why THEY dont trim their birds nails

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
Yeah i know-
Im asking on why THEY dont trim their birds nails
Sometimes there is no need, my Pascal grooms his own nails so I never had the need to cut it, unlike my other bird's.

OP
B

bmb126

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
1 Green Cheek Conure
I think thatā€™s fine. Some of my birds nails are darker than others. I donā€™t know why, but that toenail looks normal to me.
they changed colors or were always those colors? because his changed

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
they changed colors or were always those colors? because his changed
I am wondering if your birdā€™s toenail has darkened with age or maturity? Iā€™ve seen claws that are clear on a light colored bird and dark claws on a dark bird. My hair was blonde when I was a baby. Now itā€™s very dark brown. Perhaps a similar thing is happening with your bird.
All I can say is that the claw looks normal to me. If your bird is not acting like his foot hurts, perhaps you shouldnā€™t worry about it?

OP
B

bmb126

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
1 Green Cheek Conure
I am wondering if your birdā€™s toenail has darkened with age or maturity? Iā€™ve seen claws that are clear on a light colored bird and dark claws on a dark bird. My hair was blonde when I was a baby. Now itā€™s very dark brown. Perhaps a similar thing is happening with your bird.
All I can say is that the claw looks normal to me. If your bird is not acting like his foot hurts, perhaps you shouldnā€™t worry about it
All I can say is that the claw looks normal to me. If your bird is not acting like his foot hurts, perhaps you shouldnā€™t worry about it?
yes i think heā€™s ok just something i apparently never noticed before somehow lol, thank you

Most Reactions

Latest posts