Getting a little impatient

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
So I know taming and bonding takes time but I wish I could speed it up some. Everyone says sit by cage, talk to it etc. Ace has been on a dresser at the foot of my bed since he came home. I decided to bring him closer so I rearranged my room. He is now on a table next to my bed 2 feet from me. So far so good. Still behaving normally even though I just moved him. I even saw him drink water.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
You can't speed it up...each bird will take as long as it needs to feel comfortable and happy. You can only do what you can to ensure that the bird is in the right kind of environment, but every bird is different, so the more important thing you can do is be patient.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sorry Grace, but Chippy is exactly right.....several years ago, I brought home 4 sun conures that had really never been handled and were 18 mo & 24 mo siblings from two succeeding clutches and for all practical purposes, they were wild and it took over a year to finally get the last one to become what I considered hand-tame.....while I don't think your little friend will be that problematic, I did find that ignoring her when I was interacting with her siblings and not her, made her (at least I think so) more receptive to wanting to interact too, so patience is the best course of action in most cases since everything goes round on the bird's time table.....

Good luck.....

OP
G

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Ace is still not as tame as I would like but today he flew over and sat on my shoulder for a few seconds. It helped that Jet was there. Funny thing is I can rub Aces belly and get him to step up if he is in his cage. Jet on the other hand barely lets me touch him while he is in his cage. When he wants me though he will sit on me and ask for stitches. Once back in cage he sometimes doesn't even want my hand in there to feed or water him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts