Getting a second bird to pair with my canary winged parakeet.

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Hi! I recently adopted a bee bee parrot and itā€™s going great. However, although I do spend a ton of time with it (sex is unknown); I know that itā€™s lonely. My bee bee seems like it is constantly looking for a bird- maybe an old flockmate? Does anyone know what breed would pair well with my bee bee? Iā€™m open to different breeds. Iā€™m just trying to avoid a disaster. :) thank you.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Beebee's are usually fine as only parrots. Mine only sought HUMAN companionship. THey are one of the rare species that seeks out human friends in the wild. Remember that 2x the birds means 1/2 the 1 on 1 time for each, and there is no guarantee that they will get along at all. 2X the toys, food and vet costs too.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Birds should only be kept with their own species, with some exceptions (that should not be the norm). Never a guarantee any pair will get along, and you are bringing twice the noise, time, and expenses into your home. Only get another bird if you want one for yourself and are ready.

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Birds should only be kept with their own species, with some exceptions (that should not be the norm). Never a guarantee any pair will get along, and you are bringing twice the noise, time, and expenses into your home. Only get another bird if you want one for yourself and are ready.
Thank you!

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Beebee's are usually fine as only parrots. Mine only sought HUMAN companionship. THey are one of the rare species that seeks out human friends in the wild. Remember that 2x the birds means 1/2 the 1 on 1 time for each, and there is no guarantee that they will get along at all. 2X the toys, food and vet costs too.
Thank you! I think heā€™s just hormonal and a little more right now. ;)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
The first time (puberty) for parrots is usually the very worst one. Its like they loose thier minds going from Luv Me to Hate You in a matter of seconds.

Remember - this too shall pass!

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
The first time (puberty) for parrots is usually the very worst one. Its like they loose thier minds going from Luv Me to Hate You in a matter of seconds.

Remember - this too shall pass!
Thank you!! Puberty is Brutal for all. Hee hee. Just want a happy boy. :)

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
The puberty of birds is one hell of a ride! For both the bird and human caretaker!
He seems angry like the hulk. He goes in spurts and will nip at me. šŸ˜† he just wants a girlfriend šŸ«£

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Remember - This Too Shall Pass! The most important thing about puberty is to not let undesirable behavior become permanent, so if you know when he is likely to nip, avoid those situations. Know thy bird! Use Shunning as a way of telling him that nipping is not acceptable.

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Remember - This Too Shall Pass! The most important thing about puberty is to not let undesirable behavior become permanent, so if you know when he is likely to nip, avoid those situations. Know thy bird! Use Shunning as a way of telling him that nipping is not acceptable.
I took him to meet a potential flock mateā€” A very sweet docile pineapple Conureā€¦ Milford acted like a hormonal school bully/jealous boyfriend/loud dinosaur. It was overstimulating for him and so I chickened out. He might just have to be an only child if thatā€™s any indication of what it would be like. šŸ„ŗšŸ™‰šŸ“¢šŸ¦–

Attachments

• 7E7FCC09-984F-4353-B31A-8C30903538C0.jpeg
    7E7FCC09-984F-4353-B31A-8C30903538C0.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 122

Most Reactions