Is this normal?

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Hi, I have posted a few times on here about my little baby before. He has respiratory issues that have gone on for about half a year now. He has been to 2 different vets. The first vet had him on baytril didn't work and then he went on doxycycline and a steriod in his water. He didn't get better and I wasn't thrilled with the vet so I went to another. I really liked this vet she ran a blood test and said everything was normal and then she did a xray and showed the fluid or whatever he has in his upper lungs. She put him on a medication for 2 weeks. Again it didn't change his illness at all. She said this could be a chronic thing. If this is chronic where exactly do i go from here? Just today I was changing his lining and noticed the green. What is this related to?

Attachments

• 20220404_174541~2.jpg
    20220404_174541~2.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 65

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My first thought is chlamydiaosis. It takes 45 days doxycline no steroids sometimes you have to repeat like I had to to clear it...I think k i ended up having to do 3 treatments.
It causes green urates like that as it can effect multiple systems. Green urates plus respiratory, plus chronic is pretty classic, for chlamydiaosis

My second thought would be liver issues, as this can also lead to green urates as bile acids burd up.

I'm glad you have a veterinarian you like, they are your best resource. They know more than we do...and many conditions can have same symptoms.

Sending well wishes

Last edited:
OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
My first thought is chlamydiaosis. It takes 45 days doxycline no steroids sometimes you have to repeat like I had to to clear it...I think k i ended up having to do 3 treatments.
It causes green urates like that as it can effect multiple systems. Green urates plus respiratory, plus chronic is pretty classic, for chlamydiaosis

My second thought would be liver issues, as this can also lead to green urates as bile acids burd up.

I'm glad you have a veterinarian you like, they are your best resource. They know more than we do...and many conditions can have same symptoms.

Sending well wishes
Thank you ❤ I know this is dumb but how exactly do birds get chlamydiosis? I Googled it and i didn't see a lot on how they get it. He hasn't been on the doxycycline in a few months. I just today noticed this, cause i always check his droppings when I change out his cage. I feel like no matter what I can't get him better. My vet basically thinks there isn't much else to do.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Thank you ❤ I know this is dumb but how exactly do birds get chlamydiosis? I Googled it and i didn't see a lot on how they get it. He hasn't been on the doxycycline in a few months. I just today noticed this, cause i always check his droppings when I change out his cage. I feel like no matter what I can't get him better. My vet basically thinks there isn't much else to do.
I've heard they usually get it through inhaling dry feces.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It's this weird bacteria and it goes dormant and hides in the body. Many burds are exposed at the breeders or petstores. Many overcome the Bacteria and are fine, some become carriers and when stressed, ( even years lster) the bacteria becomes active and they get sick, some are chronic low level sick continuously. Its more dangerous in baby burds and just weaned birds as they are the ones that usually do t make it, or a cause of sudden death in them..

But it is completely treatable, and nearly all birds treated recover. It just takes a long time to treat, because tge bacteria will cycle through dormancy periods during treatment. And re infections are common at first, because the bacteria persists in the environment, so you have to clean really well. Air filters, vacuum filters, cage ect.

This article strikes fear of God into you, so i will try and find a better one .

Its kinda hard to test for, its an obligatory intracellular bacteria.

If your vet is like giving up. You can ask to treat fir this fir 45 days doxycline. IT actually works fine to do doxycline in water to treat this. I have done this. I have gone through this. One came as close to dying as a burd can get, one was pretty darn sick, one was barely sick, 4 didn't seem sick at all but loosing weight. Yep a flock of 7 all sick at the same time.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is my saga.....and it is long... and I made mistakes and learned along the way.

An important thing for sick birds, is supplemental heat. I highly recommend getting a sweeter heater, type it on Amazon, buy the smallest one around $110 so worth it! Its radiant heat not a light, its powerful you will have to set back from cage and play around to get it right and not to warm, I place a little to tge side so can move towards or away, input a perch at the closest spot if they really want more warmth.

Another important thing is to be weighing them. Digital kitchen scale works great.

And now I wish I would have started supporting feeding sooner. Even if they are eating you can do a little supporting feed of bsbybird formula if they are loosing weight.

And even if yours doesn't have this. Supporting warmth is very important anyway.

I went through several less sever cycles of this....until the budgie who brought it in to my flock passed of head trauma ( much harder to clear in budgies, tho budgies do better with disease, often more mild chronic in them) so fir now seems to be in the past but I'm always watching weights and poops for the tell tale green urates.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Trying to pull out the links I had in thread.
General sick bird info

This one was so hard to find. Am I'm going to add to ornithology as well.
Check your birds eyes, as bacterial systemic infections can make the eyes darker or appear black, Pikachu has blue eyes so they changed to a deep red and I missed it at first. TA-DAH has light brown eyes sbd tgey turned a dark brown st her sickest.

Last edited:

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
General sick bird info

Check your birds eyes, as bacterial systemic infections can make the eyes darker or appear black, Pikachu has blue eyes so they changed to a deep red and I missed it at first. TA-DAH has light brown eyes sbd tgey turned a dark brown st her sickest.
Lauresa are you secretly an Avian vet because this is a lot of good stuff!

OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
It's this weird bacteria and it goes dormant and hides in the body. Many burds are exposed at the breeders or petstores. Many overcome the Bacteria and are fine, some become carriers and when stressed, ( even years lster) the bacteria becomes active and they get sick, some are chronic low level sick continuously. Its more dangerous in baby burds and just weaned birds as they are the ones that usually do t make it, or a cause of sudden death in them..

But it is completely treatable, and nearly all birds treated recover. It just takes a long time to treat, because tge bacteria will cycle through dormancy periods during treatment. And re infections are common at first, because the bacteria persists in the environment, so you have to clean really well. Air filters, vacuum filters, cage ect.

This article strikes fear of God into you, so i will try and find a better one .

Its kinda hard to test for, its an obligatory intracellular bacteria.

If your vet is like giving up. You can ask to treat fir this fir 45 days doxycline. IT actually works fine to do doxycline in water to treat this. I have done this. I have gone through this. One came as close to dying as a burd can get, one was pretty darn sick, one was barely sick, 4 didn't seem sick at all but loosing weight. Yep a flock of 7 all sick at the same time.

t
General sick bird info

Thank you so much. I have had him for about a year now, my brother previously had him and didn't want him anymore. My mom use to breed parrolets but had no knowledge in them. He was a baby that almost died but my brother stayed nursing him. He is around 5 years old. I don't know if he got this from when my brother had him or it happened with me. I feel sad cause i feel I did something wrong. All though i have tried switching him from seeds to pallets he won't come off the seed. I give him quinoa with broccli and bell peppers mixed in cause it's all he will eat people food wise.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You haven't done anything wrong. When a lot of burds come together, in a breeding, petstore, boarding situation its likely their is a carrier of chlamydiaosis. It can have a dormancy period of years.

Please let me be clear, I do not know if this is what is wrong with your parrot. I have no way of knowing if it is chlamydiaosis. Ok? I just share because it is common and fits with your symptoms. But unfortunately so do a lot of other health issues.

Diet is critical to health tho. Immunity is linked especially to Vitamin A but many other.
So working to increase veggies and leafy greens ( romaine lettuce is a good source of vitamin A) baked and mashed up served warm sweet potatoes are often a big hit, same with roasted carrots. Bell peppers especially the yellow-red are a good source. Also many have luck with chop. Pellets are good fir covering nutrition. I never ever recommend vitamins in water..nope

OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
You haven't done anything wrong. When a lot of burds come together, in a breeding, petstore, boarding situation its likely their is a carrier of chlamydiaosis.

Diet is critical to health tho. Immunity is linked especially to Vitamin A but many other.
So working to increase veggies and leafy greens ( romaine lettuce is a good source of vitamin A) baked and mashed up served warm sweet potatoes are often a big hit, same with roasted carrots. Bell peppers especially the yellow-red are a good source. Also many have luck with chop. Pellets are good fir covering nutrition. I never ever recommend vitamins in water..nope
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all this information. I appreciate it so much! Thank you!

OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Cute as a button!
Don't know normal weights...but yiu don't want to see loss
Thank you! I will start taking weight down and watching it and extra cleaning the cage. Work on getting more veggies In diet. Again thank you so much for taking time to help me.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
here is an article with ideas on expanding diet

This is an excerpt from silversageaviaries tips, I love this idea!

" Let them sit on it

When we think of feeding our birds fresh food we often think of “chop” aka fresh food diced up and served in a dish. Chop is great, but it is far from the only way to serve fresh food. The simplest trick that I use regularly is to wedge a full carrot or other veggie through the bars of the cage. Depending on the size of the bird they often use it as a perch, and we all know how eager they can be to destroy their perches! For larger birds that can’t really perch on the carrot I try to put the food right at beak level in front of their favorite perch or secure it to the perch itself. Using a vegetable as a perch is one of the most effective " strategies that I have found for getting a bird to decide to try biting something.

Most Reactions