girl bird for my boy bird

larryb

Mik, our male GCC is about 6 months old, we have had him since he was 8 weeks old, he is VERY attached to me, we are best buddies. We just got our female (yes, they have both been sexed) she is 8 weeks and is a pineapple. We want to mate this pair. We have them in separate cages, but side by side. We have had them out with us together only a couple of times, so far Mik, goes to her and tries to bite her feet, just seems threatened and defensive, is this normal? I'm guessing this is going to take some time, any suggestions of what we should be doing, and what to expect would be greatly appreciated, just don't want to make a huge mistake, really would like this pair to produce offspring someday.
Larry

Mik, our male GCC is about 6 months old, we have had him since he was 8 weeks old, he is VERY attached to me, we are best buddies. We just got our female (yes, they have both been sexed) she is 8 weeks and is a pineapple. We want to mate this pair. We have them in separate cages, but side by side. We have had them out with us together only a couple of times, so far Mik, goes to her and tries to bite her feet, just seems threatened and defensive, is this normal? I'm guessing this is going to take some time, any suggestions of what we should be doing, and what to expect would be greatly appreciated, just don't want to make a huge mistake, really would like this pair to produce offspring someday.
Larry

Hi Larry. Did you purchase the female to also be a loved pet companion too? There is never a 100% chance of two birds mating, or even getting along.

Slow introductions are vital, you don't want your new baby to be losing toes. Mik will be very jealous and 'threatened' by this new arrival. Take it slow, let him see that you do not love him any less.

Only way to successfully get two birds to mate 90% of the time, is to have an already bonded, sexed pairs who have successfully produced offspring already. You have no guarantee that your male/female are even fertile, so your expectancies are high.

I hope that all goes well, but they shouldn't be mated until they're around 3year+ old anyway.

I agree with Mayden slow slow slow. Also know that when you breed them (which shouldnt be until they are at least 2 years) the female will get mean and male might also become mean! And be sure to do lots of research breeding isnt something to go into lightly.

Larry

Hi Larry. Did you purchase the female to also be a loved pet companion too? There is never a 100% chance of two birds mating, or even getting along.

Slow introductions are vital, you don't want your new baby to be losing toes. Mik will be very jealous and 'threatened' by this new arrival. Take it slow, let him see that you do not love him any less.

Only way to successfully get two birds to mate 90% of the time, is to have an already bonded, sexed pairs who have successfully produced offspring already. You have no guarantee that your male/female are even fertile, so your expectancies are high.

I hope that all goes well, but they shouldn't be mated until they're around 3year+ old anyway.
We love them both, regardless of weather or not they will mate. They are both part of our family. I've bred birds before, but never parrots, we are just "hoping " they will be friends, and if they are more than that, then that's great. This morning, after breakfast, they perched beside each other and he was preening her, very cute :green2::yellow2:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back