Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

Dear Parrot lovers...

I need your help!!!

Could someone please tell me if this grow light bulb for plants will harm the bird (Kise) if I have it indoor??? She will be flying around and will be near them.. I will have three..

In term of radiation... brightness, harmful for her health.

Thank you all..... **HUGS*****

**CHUUUUUUUUU**

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T47G2L2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51FVFWiTwWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm sorry HEEDLESS, I have no experience with this type of lighting, but perhaps another of our knowledgeable members may?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Highly specialized light bulb you have selected there!

My concerns:
- 300 Watt LED daylight bulb is going to be very bright and (note the fan included) will create a large amount to heat.
- The light bulb will create blinding levels of light, safe distance from the bulb will likely be measured in feet /meter(s).
- Although the surface of the bulb has a lower level of heat, the base will get very hot.
- Truly great product for 'industrial' level indoor farming. NOTE: In an industrial setting, those bulbs are set up in a group as small as three, growing in number based on the grow area they have under glass or indoors. FYI: You will see an increase in your electrical usage by using this style bulb.

Visit your local Big Box Store and take a look in the lighting department. Tell the staff that you looking for a 'Grow Light and fixture assembly' and what they have available.

Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
What sort of plants are you trying to grow? We use cheap shop lights from lowes. I think they are 4' T-8's. They each hold 2 bulbs and we do two of the fixtures side by side over a group of plants. It is enough to turn my jade plants red from excess light, my cacti grow great, the houseplants like peace lily do good a small distance away. We also grow small varieties of tomato under them. We put extra bulbs over the tomatoes when they are actively fruiting. Not as good as putting the plants outside, but hey, that isn't always an option.

We have those lights around our fids and nobody seems to be suffering any ill effect. I do shield the fixtures with a bit of tin foil so the light isn't glaring in anyone's eyes. :) We started using those fixtures just about a year ago. They get warm, but not hot. Warm enough that we put bread dough on them to rise! Hee hee multi tasking!

Hubbs says if you can get T-5's they have better output, but the T-8's are definitely good enough for our uses at this time. :) We can usually get 3 tomato plants under the 2 fixtures working together and the plants are very happy with it right until they start fruiting and need a little more of a light diet. We don't get the plump tomatoes we would get with better lighting or putting them outdoors, but it's better than no tomatoes! Plus the quality of home grown tomatoes are always better than bought ones.

We started some herb seeds recently, and I am looking forward to trying to grow salad greens indoors so we have year round salads totally from indoors! :D Sorry, I like plants and may have gotten carried away in my comment. Hope it was helpful.

OP
HEEDLESS

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

Thanks all..

Want to have few Orchids... :D

I bought six of them arriving yesterday, and they are actually only 30W not 300w. :D Very missed labeling... :D 30 watt is not very bright at all...

I have three light bulbs attached on the ceiling fan by Kise's cage.. Just to make sure that won't harm her with radiation... etc... She does has her window with the morning sun bright up... so those light bulbs will be for her in the early-evening. And three will be for the orchids...

Thanks.....

**HUGS** **CHUUUUUUUU**

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yeah, labeling does sound confusing, typical for making a product sound better. Got to love marketing!

LED bulbs are commonly labeled with an equivalent number, like an average "60 watt equivalent" LED bulb actually uses only 8 to 9 watts. You have to really look to see that number, somewhere in small print. So... Those bulbs saying 300 watts may indeed be comparable to an old school 300 watt bulb, (very bright) but only draw 30 watts of power, and generate far less heat.

Orchids, oh my! I have just one that my niece bought on clearance at Walmart 3 years ago. It lives on my kitchen window sill that gets the morning sunrise. I give it a few ice cubes every couple of days, that's it, and somehow it keeps going, and blooms at least twice a year. I have no idea how it survives, other than what we call "the magic window." The one place in the house where everything will grow, no matter what.

I'd love to see pictures of your orchids when you get them going! They really are gorgeous when they bloom :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I would not worry about radiation with this product.

To test how close you can set the light bulb to your Parrot. Looking at the bulb, turn it on and turn it off. If you see spots in your vision, its too close to your face. Note: It is best to start from a fair distance from the bulb, just in case!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts