Gus Is home

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Not fully settled in yet though. Named him Gus More pictures to follow as he settles in. The cage the gave us was so nasty I have it in the yard being washed LOL

Last edited:

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
I am so excited for you and Gus! I can't wait to see more pictures of him once he is more comfortable in his new home. What a lucky break for him to have found you :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And the adventure begins...

Is he pulling chest feathers? If so, I think the cage isn't the only thing that could use a good bath.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
I asked the Vet she said it was molting. I thought it was pulled but took her word for it. He is actually a lot calmer now then when I saw him in the vets office. Yeah I know he needs a bath. When we were bringing him inside in the transport cage you could see some dust come off him. Sad .

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
He'll feel better after a bath, and some 1 on 1 time...

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
He is eating like he is starved. Grapes Few seeds. I have a spray bottle but he pure hates that right now LOL I know Birdman I am the boss LOL
Also I want to thank you again for all the help you have given me. You will never know how much its appreciated.
Just looked in on him and Boyfriend is feeding him some apple LOL

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
He let me spray him a little but not much . Still scared I guess. Tried to get you a better picture of his chest for you Birdman

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Nah. He's not plucking. That's normal molt. Hard to tell from the first picture.

Mine all got showers tonight. Maggie and Sally's were extra long.

They were both doing the happy flappy thing tonight...

Sally's going through a hard molt at the moment, and really looks kinda ratty.

Maggie is covered in pin feathers as well.

A good soaking in a shower might do wonders for this one, if he tolerates them.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Not been able to handle him yet. Spray really really Pissed him off but I think he will just have to get mad tomorrow LOL. He LOVES grapes so maybe a few grapes will get him over it.
His tail feather also has what looks like a small white tape around it. Someone told me that was a " blood feather " he does not mess with it but really strange looking to me anyway. I will try to get a pic of it in the morning and send.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Gus is doing great. Still hates to be sprayed with a mister but he will get use to it at least when he ruffles his feathers now I do not see dust .

He will eat anything you gie him. Chopped up some Apple, green pepper , orange pepper with a little hot pepper. He is not to keen on cabbage . Loves banana , peanuts in the shell . I did buy some brown rice today and will try that later. I really think he has been on a all seed diet before.

Every time I approach the cage he will start bobbing his head. He will let me rub his beak and just let me scratch the top of his head today thru the cage. Also can touch his feet some. He does not like men :( Well i say not like he tolerates them. He will let my boyfriend hand feed him but other than that he is not interested in making friends. The dogs are trying to get use to him. LOL He is way to loud for them.

He will say : shut F up. shut the Hell up . Happy Birthday , what , and will yell HELP sounds just like a human when he does LOL> Pretty big bird and hot . quite a few more but not able to understand what he is saying yet. He strings together about 4 words wish I know what they were so I could help him. Just started Peek a boo with him yesterday and he is already saying that. Trying to teach him something besides shut up LOL

Very quiet at night. lights go out he is quiet until we get up in the morning. So that is a plus.

They are pressing charges on the woman that did have him for animal neglect.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I'm so glad he found his way into your heart and your home! It's amazing the recovery they can make when you provide them with love. And I must say, I'm seriously glad that the woman who owned him previously is being charged with animal neglect.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
That's so great that he will eat the healthy foods you are offering him if he only got seeds before. That could have been a really rough transition!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Congrats! He is beautiful! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts