Hair Dye

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I understand the safest/easiest answer is to just not dye my hair, and typically I don't but sometimes I just want to put some streaks of something bright in my hair (i like my natural colour, would never dream of bleaching it or any other kind of full on colour change).
I have dyed a patch of my hair once since having Pazu, semi-permanent, Pazu would not go near it. She doesn't tend to preen me much, prefers preening my eyebrows really :) I was ever watchful of how she interacted with my hair at that time, really gave me nothing to worry about, but I'd rather be as safe as I can be where possible.

Does this product seem safe?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-VEGAN-PERMANENT-COLOUR-AQUAMARINE/dp/B00VIQX9OY/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1498265392&sr=8-4&keywords=blue%2Bhair%2Bdye&th=1

It claims :"Arctic Fox Hair Colors are 100% Vegan, No animal by-products, EXTRA Conditioning, No Peroxide, No Ammonia, No Ethyl Alcohol, No PPD and does not contain heavy chemicals that damages hair."

I would assume no product will be perfect, but this seems like it would fill my occasional need to be bright.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Adding a color to Human hair without first opening the structure of the hair is what is known as non-permanent coloring. Commonly, the first washing of the hair has the color running out of the hair. Also, this type of coloring commonly have a heavier load of color to assure some attempt to have a single color from root to end. If that did not happen, the ends would take the color deeply whereas the roots would barely accept any color.

All permanent coloring prep has some kind of chemical that opens the hair structure. The goal is to get a constant opening root to end. When the manufacturer claims no dangerous chemicals, and if, in fact, they proceed to do that, they are left with 'salt.'

Most simply choose to stretch the truth by using a more marketable term.

Take great care, this is a weakly monitored /controlled industry. The labels should state: Buyer Beware!

If you color, or just wish to have wonderful hair, target shampoos with no salt content and little to no foam. Also, stay out of Pools and Hot Tubs!

FYI: A close family member is a Stylist!

Last edited:

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I just dyed my hair tonight and I know it's not good for the bird so I kept her on the porch while I did it. I won't let her preen my hair for a few weeks, she'll be fine. I'm only 42, I'm not going around with gray hair.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Another thing I never thought about until now is that I use hairspray. I don't spray it around the bird of course, but I spray a little on my bangs just to keep them out of my eyes until I grow them out.

I understand birds have sensitive respiratory systems and you have to take precautions that they don't breath any fumes in, but you don't have to stop living your life.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Artic Fox is demi dye.... it has no obnoxious fumes, smells like fruit!! I've used Purple Rain, Poseidon and Transylvania.

If you are playing with color, Artic Fox is a safe option. As with everything, don't dye your hair in the same room as your bird, but overall this is was safer then a dye with a processor!

Have fun!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Adding a color to Human hair without first opening the structure of the hair is what is known as non-permanent coloring. Commonly, the first washing of the hair has the color running out of the hair. Also, this type of coloring commonly have a heavier load of color to assure some attempt to have a single color from root to end. If that did not happen, the ends would take the color deeply whereas the roots would barely accept any color.

All permanent coloring prep has some kind of chemical that opens the hair structure. The goal is to get a constant opening root to end. When the manufacturer claims no dangerous chemicals, and if, in fact, they proceed to do that, they are left with 'salt.'

Most simply choose to stretch the truth by using a more marketable term.

Take great care, this is a weakly monitored /controlled industry. The labels should state: Buyer Beware!

If you color, or just wish to have wonderful hair, target shampoos with no salt content and little to no foam. Also, stay out of Pools and Hot Tubs!

FYI: A close family member is a Stylist!

Is there anything you don't know? The depth and width of your knowledge is awesome. And that is not a word I use unless something actually inspires me with awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Sandy: I don't know for normal she but I wouldn't use hair spray unless it was in the bathroom with the fan on and I wasn't going back into the birds' room. And then wouldn't have Pazu out much until I washed it out. Only because it's a basically to fix your hair in place like a glue (that's how I see it anyway). That's just me though.

Sailboat: Thanks for the detail! While everything you said rings bells in my head you explained it very well. I posted a link to the product incase anyone knew it was good/bad but you are very right that it's not monitored well as an industry and products will make all sorts of claims. Pazu likely won't go near the patch I dye for a week anyways, so plenty of time the wash out the worst of it.

Jenphilly: Seeing your post made me feel a lot better about this dye. How well does it stay in for you?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Is there anything you don't know? The depth and width of your knowledge is awesome. And that is not a word I use unless something actually inspires me with awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the OP, sorry for stealing the Thread for a moment!

I'm old and that helps based on what I have been exposed to over the years. Two, I have a wide breath of friends and relatives that are very interesting to talk with. Three, I am a strong believer in 'hearing' what people are saying. Four, I love to learn new things and update older stuff. And five, my engineering heart loves understanding the interaction and connectivity of things! Oh, one other thing, I read the directions. :D

Now ask me the name of someone I have just met. Nothing! Names are a serious weakness that I have worked all my life to solve. I have tried everything, all the tricks! What I find works is: I tell the people I meet and they well understand.

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
I'm back!
Update: I've done a test patch and it smells like fruity bubble gum.
The test went great, in my non damaged, non bleached hair the dye took great. The only Minor/major problem is Pazu's behaviour. She spent 5min avoiding the area and now she actively loves it. She never used to preen that spot, she'd only preen my eyebrows really.
So while it's nice that she likes it, and I do discourage her preening it, Jenphilly does your bird try and preen your dyed areas? I went for Arctic fox because it seems safer I assume I should still be vigilant?the dye is washed out, I've tried rubbing the dyed hair between my fingers and I can't encourage it off.
It's a great dye for dyes sake! 100% recommend for colour and smell.

carolflan

May 23, 2017
I just dyed my hair tonight and I know it's not good for the bird so I kept her on the porch while I did it. I won't let her preen my hair for a few weeks, she'll be fine. I'm only 42, I'm not going around with gray hair.
I'm only 38 and I spent 4 yrs growing out my hair! Gray is just another colour xx

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts