how can i dye my hair safely while keeping a bird?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I want to dye my hair dark purple as I think it'd look really good! however, my cockatiel, Rico, likes to play in my hair. I'd get it done at my local hair salon who does WONDERS with my hair! but is there any precautions I should take, or should I just leave my hair plain? ofc I know that the dyes are dangerous for a few weeks, and I cannot let him near my head. any advice would be greatly appreciated! Danke!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think that once the dyeing process is over, and youā€™ve washed your hair once, itā€™s pretty safe. I dye my hair occasionally and I just use the fan in my bathroom because itā€™s a bit stinky while the chemicals are active. But after the dye is washed out I think itā€™s ok.

Dark purple, huh? I dyed my hair plum with manic panic years ago. But my hair is so dark it was hard to see after a couple of weeks.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I think that once the dyeing process is over, and youā€™ve washed your hair once, itā€™s pretty safe. I dye my hair occasionally and I just use the fan in my bathroom because itā€™s a bit stinky while the chemicals are active. But after the dye is washed out I think itā€™s ok.

Dark purple, huh? I dyed my hair plum with manic panic years ago. But my hair is so dark it was hard to see after a couple of weeks.
Ohhhhhhh okay! i really appreciate this!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This is a subject that I should know nothing about, but I do.

Hair dyes are dangerous for the individuals doing the work as it is for the client and as you noted, also dangerous for your Parrot(s) as most like to run their bills in your hair.

The Manufacturers warn not to wash your hair for several days after dyeing it or until your hair closes its pours, locking in the color. That is about the same time as to when the hair is considered safe as the chemicals are no longer flowing out. If you must wash your hair, it should be with cool to cold water to limit the lost of color. Also, dyed hair should not be washed in hot water, only cool water to maintain the color for as long as possible.

Most Stylists forget to comment on that as they have either forgot or enjoy money from your early return visit. Harsh, yes, but sadly true.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I dye my hair a LOT, and my birds love to chew and play in my hair - nothing bad has ever happened.

Edit: My natural hair is light brown, so I donā€™t have to bleach it before dying. I think bleach is safe, but Iā€™m not 100% sure.

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
@SailBoat I am now imagining a variety of scenarios to explain your depth of knowledge on this subject šŸ˜šŸ¤Ŗ

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
@SailBoat I am now imagining a variety of scenarios to explain your depth of knowledge on this subject šŸ˜šŸ¤Ŗ

And sadly, near all are likely far more interesting than the why. I worked for a major manufacturer for a short period of time as a mechanical engineer and the rest becomes even more boring.

Last edited:
OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
This is a subject that I should know nothing about, but I do.

Hair dyes are dangerous for the individuals doing the work as it is for the client and as you noted, also dangerous for your Parrot(s) as most like to run their bills in your hair.

The Manufacturers warn not to wash your hair for several days after dyeing it or until your hair closes its pours, locking in the color. That is about the same time as to when the hair is considered safe as the chemicals are no longer flowing out. If you must wash your hair, it should be with cool to cold water to limit the lost of color. Also, dyed hair should not be washed in hot water, only cool water to maintain the color for as long as possible.

Most Stylists forget to comment on that as they have either forgot or enjoy money from your early return visit. Harsh, yes, but sadly true.
okay, interesting. so should i avoid my bird for a couple days or just a day and wash it out then interact with him after it dries? sorry, im a bit confused... edit: also, would at home hair dye be safe?

Last edited:
OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I dye my hair a LOT, and my birds love to chew and play in my hair - nothing bad has ever happened.

Edit: My natural hair is light brown, so I donā€™t have to bleach it before dying. I think bleach is safe, but Iā€™m not 100% sure.
interesting... my hair is dirty blonde/gold type color, so i dont think id need or want a bleach. what do you do before interacting with your birds after dyeing it?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
interesting... my hair is dirty blonde/gold type color, so i dont think id need or want a bleach. what do you do before interacting with your birds after dyeing it?
I just dye it, wash it out, and then they interact me as normal.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I just dye it, wash it out, and then they interact me as normal.
do you do it at home? my mom said no salon, only at home. and if so, would it be safe? id close off my vent, cram blankets under my door, and keep my fan on so it hopefully wont affect him. we live in a single story house btw

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
okay, interesting. so should i avoid my bird for a couple days or just a day and wash it out then interact with him after it dries? sorry, im a bit confused... edit: also, would at home hair dye be safe?

It is easy to make a blanket statement regarding hair coloring. But, I will reframe from that simplicity. Much depends on whether you are using a Demi (temporary) color or a longer lasting color. Also if you are simply lightening or darkening your natural color or a major shift in color. Now comes the understanding of the strength of your hair and your hair type, example: Northern European hair tends to be thiner /lighter than Southern European hair as just one of the many variations that exist. That is important as the length of time left to set differs as if effects the condition of the hair afterwards.

To add to the mix, different areas have variations to the type of water one uses to shower. Those with hard or soft water, heavy loads of minerals, like iron, etc. As this will affect the time and likely amount your hair will pull one color more than another. This all affects how long after coloring your hair before it is no longer leaching color and sealing chemicals.

Yes, one can simply hot water wash your hair after coloring and hot air dry it and you will be safe within a day. The process and resulting time need is your choice.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
It is easy to make a blanket statement regarding hair coloring. But, I will reframe from that simplicity. Much depends on whether you are using a Demi (temporary) color or a longer lasting color. Also if you are simply lightening or darkening your natural color or a major shift in color. Now comes the understanding of the strength of your hair and your hair type, example: Northern European hair tends to be thiner /lighter than Southern European hair as just one of the many variations that exist. That is important as the length of time left to set differs as if effects the condition of the hair afterwards.

To add to the mix, different areas have variations to the type of water one uses to shower. Those with hard or soft water, heavy loads of minerals, like iron, etc. As this will affect the time and likely amount your hair will pull one color more than another. This all affects how long after coloring your hair before it is no longer leaching color and sealing chemicals.

Yes, one can simply hot water wash your hair after coloring and hot air dry it and you will be safe within a day. The process and resulting time need is your choice.
interesting... what if its hair dye done at home?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
do you do it at home? my mom said no salon, only at home. and if so, would it be safe? id close off my vent, cram blankets under my door, and keep my fan on so it hopefully wont affect him. we live in a single story house btw
Yeah I do it at home. My birds are out basically all day, but I put them in a room while Iā€™m dying my hair. Once Iā€™m done, I let them out, and itā€™s all fine.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Both types are available for home use. Commonly the short-term (Demi) is commonly used by those DYI at home because they are less expensive. Marketing methods have made it difficult to select as packaging places that information in the fine print.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Both types are available for home use. Commonly the short-term (Demi) is commonly used by those DYI at home because they are less expensive. Marketing methods have made it difficult to select as packaging places that information in the fine print.
Yeah I do it at home. My birds are out basically all day, but I put them in a room while Iā€™m dying my hair. Once Iā€™m done, I let them out, and itā€™s all fine.
interesting... interesting... any safety precautions i should take in a DIY hairdye type thing? like cover and close my vent, open my window a bit, and seal off my door to prevent fumes from entering?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
interesting... interesting... any safety precautions i should take in a DIY hairdye type thing? like cover and close my vent, open my window a bit, and seal off my door to prevent fumes from entering?
I havenā€™t been that careful; I just did the dyeing in the bathroom with an exhaust fan on.

Most Reactions

Latest posts