Handfeeding Conure

leclair.m82201

May 3, 2021
Manteca, CA
We are adopting 3mo conure, how does handfeeding work? He is giving us some free food to continue. How long do I hand feed and how do I wean from handfeeding?

I totally panicked and misread hs texts saying the bird was weaned ������

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
At 3 months old the baby should be weaned.

For a GCC but other conures might take longer. Or these individual might not want to self wean just yet.

I suggest not taking home an unweened baby. If you have to pay extra for the breeder to ween it it would definitely be worth it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Kudos for recognizing potential unweaned status of your baby conure! Most of us strongly counsel against adopting until fully weaned. Sadly, many breeders choose to offload during labor-intensive state. Handfeeding is viable if no options exist provided you thoroughly understand the process, risks, and potential consequences. Please read this impassioned thread to help you reach a wise decision: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

Most Reactions